boiling water

grainy one

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all. now that I've done 16 or so all grain batches I find that when boiling my city water the day before, I get a different amount of precipitated hardness.(the white stuff) on the bottom and sides of the kettle. sometimes almost none at all other times so much that I can't believe people drink this water.
I boil the same way and get different results. Is my water that different day to day?

Hope I'm not being rude by butting in.

Would it not be better to just buy spring water at 69 cents a gallon? Is spring water a good idea? I'm in SA TX where the water is very hard. That is why I'm asking.

hello Mad Chemist. no, your not being rude. I tried to get water a profile from the makers and found out that most of them say that there water changes and that all they could give me is an range for the levels of ions nothing exact. so that being true, all my experiments would be off. then as far as my city water go's, I'm thinking there levels vary from day to day also. Here in Minnesota spring water at the stores I go to starts at 95 cents a gallon , ya I'm kind of cheap. In the end what I'm going to do is buy ro water at 35 cents a gal and add my own stuff. It's funny 8 months ago, I thought all that would be to much work. Got to love the hobby.
PS. spring water from the store is fine I'm just trying to get the best beer I can.

I've used spring water more often than not... And yes, in bulk it's very cheap, and doesn't add much to the cost, especially if you have bad water... with the bottled stuff you can also go to the mfr site and get what the chemical comp of the water is.

Back