Boil times

cowboy7307

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
looking at a recipe that states boil for 60 min . but first hop is 35 min boil , why boil for longer, if its only to boil water off , why not use less water

there is some contention for boil times. but boiling the wort is not only for isomerizing hops. it destroys conversion enzymes, helps in malliard reactions. there is no hard rule though. some poeple even make beer with no boil.

Yup that recipe added the hops at 35 min for bitterness and some flavours and aromas the longer the hops are in the boil more bitterness is achieved and more hop oils and Aromatics are driven off by the boiling.

Boiling also boils of DMS and other yucky compounds it also sterilises the wort.

But most my boils up until recently were 30 minutes I've extended my boil to 60mins now because I'm using undermodified grains so therefore to drive off any unwanted compounds in the wort:)

I definitely don't believe in a long vigerous boil = brite clear wort though I got some brilliant beer on just 30 min boils.

Just my subjective 2c;)

looking at a recipe that states boil for 60 min . but first hop is 35 min boil , why boil for longer, if its only to boil water off , why not use less water
As mentioned, it is not only to boil off water. Hops need heat to bitter, some compounds like DMS (Dimethyl Sulphate, tastes/smells like creamed corn or cabbage) and others, it also stops the sugars conversion process and, yes, sterilizes the wort.

Plus in winter, it humidifies the house...

Other thing is boiling condenses the sugars in solution.

You could achieve a high OG by boiling extra long that's another boil usage.:)

In terms of hops, 60 minutes give more bitterness. Late addition are more for aroma. When I started learning in the brew store, they did a 50 minute boil. I like 60. I like my beer, and I am used to 60 minutes. It also gives me time to clean the brew bag and review my steps to make sure I did not forget anything.
Another thing, alpha acids are all over the place for the same hops. The brew store gets them from different places. I adjust the time for hop additions based on the differences in alpha acids between what I budget them for in a recipe vs. what I actually get.

Last edited:

Back