Blueberry Cobbler Pastry Sour

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've not done much of this kind of brewing, with odd things added to the mash etc. I do a lot of lagers, and very simple, traditional styles most times, so this is a bit out of my wheelhouse. Also- for the record, I enjoy a good cheat code. Instead of kettle souring the beer (already a cheat in many's eyes) I usually just add lactic acid to the keg to taste at the end... I've had great results from this with far less work, and since i can add slowly to taste, I have much more control over the sourness- so that's how this will likely be soured.

I am looking at this as my recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1356952/billtown-blues

Thoughts?

I haven't endeavored into sours yet, but that sounds like a good idea

The pastry in the name implies lactose and/or vanilla to me. I'd definitely add some vanilla extract to taste at the end of fermentation. I've had a bunch of pastry sours that say no lactose and they've all got vanilla. I think as soon as my brain (and lots of other people) tastes vanilla it thinks the drink must be sweet.

I don't have a good handle on how much lactose to add. I find it easy to get into the too sweet space and then it's more a cute gimmick beer that you can only share with friends. Though if the blueberry addition has made the beer too tart a bit of lactose can be good to dial back the acid.

Or instead of the lactose you could mash high and lower your yeast attenuation number.

The pastry in the name implies lactose and/or vanilla to me. I'd definitely add some vanilla extract to taste at the end of fermentation. I've had a bunch of pastry sours that say no lactose and they've all got vanilla. I think as soon as my brain (and lots of other people) tastes vanilla it thinks the drink must be sweet.

I don't have a good handle on how much lactose to add. I find it easy to get into the too sweet space and then it's more a cute gimmick beer that you can only share with friends. Though if the blueberry addition has made the beer too tart a bit of lactose can be good to dial back the acid.

Or instead of the lactose you could mash high and lower your yeast attenuation number.
Man this is why I post stuff that isn't in my wheel house on here lol. I fully intended for this to have lactose and simply omitted unconsciously. Thanks for catching that!

Adding lactic acid is something I’ve thought about for a sour. Let us know

Last edited:
On a different note my next Irish stout I’m going to dose the glass to get a little Guinness twang..the journey continues
See that's what I like about it. You can control the amount so acutely that you can add little hints like that.

Hey all,

I've not done much of this kind of brewing, with odd things added to the mash etc. I do a lot of lagers, and very simple, traditional styles most times, so this is a bit out of my wheelhouse. Also- for the record, I enjoy a good cheat code. Instead of kettle souring the beer (already a cheat in many's eyes) I usually just add lactic acid to the keg to taste at the end... I've had great results from this with far less work, and since i can add slowly to taste, I have much more control over the sourness- so that's how this will likely be soured.

I am looking at this as my recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1356952/billtown-blues

Thoughts?

visit web site
Looking at taking one of my go-to Farmhouse Kettle Sour recipes that I commonly fruit up and turning it into a “Blueberry Cobbler Berliner” Check my shared recipe in the link at the bottom... Thinking of adding a small amount of (Flaked Oats) as well as (Lactose) to give the proper “cobbler” appeal but I’m not sure how much. Once primary is completed, I’ll rack it onto a mixture of pasteurized blueberries, cinnamon, and vanilla to complete the cobbler ... but again, not sure how much. Any thoughts?

I'm yet to work out the numbers for a recipe of mine that never makes it to the top of the brew list. You can always add the lactose after the fermentation. Grab a sample of your beer and mix in the lactose until you've got the right amount. Then scale it up and make a runny paste with boiling water that will also pasteurise the lactose and then add it to the fermenter or bottling bucket. Then next batch you can just add the lactose to the end of the boil.

I've seen other people talking about 500g - 1kg in 20 litres (0.5 to 1lb in 5 gallons) as a starting point, but I wonder if that comes from milk stout recipes.

Looking at taking one of my go-to Farmhouse Kettle Sour recipes that I commonly fruit up and turning it into a “Blueberry Cobbler Berliner” Check my shared recipe in the link at the bottom... Thinking of adding a small amount of (Flaked Oats) as well as (Lactose) to give the proper “cobbler” appeal but I’m not sure how much. Once primary is completed, I’ll rack it onto a mixture of pasteurized blueberries, cinnamon, and vanilla to complete the cobbler ... but again, not sure how much. Any thoughts?
How'd this turn out for you Miamelia??

Back