60 litre batch of 1.070 stout with 1469 going mental and making a mess
That's a 4 litre jug .....
Had told my friend to leave extra headspace and he didn't listen

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-16-07-54-25.png
    Screenshot_2017-05-16-07-54-25.png
    367.5 KB · Views: 434
unfortunately you may be losing yeast and fall short of finishing

Thats what i was looking at it maybe possible to pitch that back in if its sitting in star san?? Phosphoric acido_O.

Yeah , I doubt there's still enough yeast to finish properly , I have another starter of same yeast so once it slows down he can pitch that .
Suggested he practice yeast washing and build up a starter from what's in the jug but no time to ensure viability and repitch it .
Without a starter that would have been $81 in yeast so its a no brainer to get the stir plate cranked up

Last edited:
Yeah , I doubt there's still enough yeast to finish properly , I have another starter of same yeast so once it slows down he can pitch that .
Suggested he practice yeast washing and build up a starter from what's in the jug but no time to ensure viability and repitch it .
Without a starter that would have been $81 in yeast so its a no brainer to get the stir plate cranked up
Id guess there is a couple of hundred billion cells sitting at the bottom of that blow off tube container that sounds twisted lol

Easily that many , probably more depending how much other junk is in there
I pitched about 600 million by best calculations and it was less volume than that

Easily that many , probably more depending how much other junk is in there
I pitched about 600 million by best calculations and it was less volume than that
Its phosphoric acid on there? There is a good cance that yeast is clean i suppose lt depends on howdesperateyou are. But like you said youve already got a starter ready. Me personally i wouldnt pitch it till this batch stalls i think if you keep a close eye on the gravity you can bump her up to bring it home. As we know yeast are amazing organisms give them half a chance and theyll get the job done for you;).

I will be testing whether Starsan really does kill yeast or not , if i can get a viable starter going from yeast that's gone through diluted Starsan then i'll know for certain .

Yeasties really are amazing little critters , i can make the wort but they really make the beer

A member of local brewery homebrew R&D dept left kit yeast in freezer for 3 years , still fermented out the batch no problems

star sans is an acid, don't add it to your beer, its not going to kill you but it will add the wrong flavor in your beer, acidly flavor

The plan is to wash the yeast a few times then attempt to build a starter up , Starsan doesn't taste good so will be trying my hardest to keep it out of my beer

Back