Blow-off tube VS airlock

If you're concerned about suck back, which really only happens when you chill the beer in the fermentor, use cheap vodka in your airlock, either design. The minute amount of it that can be sucked back into the beer (unless you set up a siphon, as some here have done) will never be noticeable. Same holds true for Starsan in the airlock but having that in their beer is a bit off-putting to some.

If I'm expecting blow off and I thought ahead, the 3 piece is a good idea since you can slip a BO tube over the upright of the 3 piece then simply pull off the tube and put the cap on the upright when things simmer down. Less chance of introducing any bad stuff into the CO2 environment of the fermenter….just be sure to do that before the krausen binds to plastics together like epoxy!

If I'm expecting blow off and I thought ahead, the 3 piece is a good idea since you can slip a BO tube over the upright of the 3 piece then simply pull off the tube and put the cap on the upright when things simmer down. Less chance of introducing any bad stuff into the CO2 environment of the fermenter….just be sure to do that before the krausen binds to plastics together like epoxy!
Interesting...which size tubing (i.d.) fits over the 3 piece? I have 5/16" and it seems too snug to fit

Well....that was the plan! :) I now have a permanent blow off tube attachment.

Yeah I found they kind of became permanent unless you wanted to use a knife.

When I've had that happen, I'd soak in really hot water. Like almost boiling hot, and it softens up the rubber enough to pop right off. Works great on keg lines/barbed fittings also.

I use both blow off tube and bubblers (s-type and 3 piece). I just switched out the tubes for the bubblers on the two carboys fermenting my BelWit. Fermentation charging along with lots of bubbles, virtually no krausen. Hoping for a good result.

Back