blonde ale, trying to get a sweeter taste

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
going to brew this a month from now, any mods i might make?? i'm looking for the honey and hops to shine through in a sweeter tasting blonde.

3 gallon boil, 60 minutes
2.25 batch

3.0 lb American - Pale 2-Row
1.0 lb American - White Wheat
0.5 lb Canadian - Honey Malt
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat

0.10 oz Mosaic 60 min
0.10 oz Mosaic 20 min
0.25 oz Mosaic 5 min

S-05 fermented right at about 60ºF

possibly hops substitutions i've been thinking about,, Galaxy, Sorachi Ace, Hull Melon?, or Citra

That looks similar to a honey wheat I've made before, but with citra only.

I can only speak for citra and sorachi ace, those are on the citrus fruit side. I've heard good things on hull melon, more on the fruity side obviously ;)

Coincidentally I just toasted some flaked wheat for an ipa with a bunch of Amarillo. First time doing that, so don't know how it's going to turn out

if your mashing like all grain, try a 158 rest to get more unfermentable sugars

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
if your mashing like all grain, try a 158 rest to get more unfermentable sugars

hm, i've just read a bit about this. if i understand correctly, more unfermentable sugars will raise my final gravity and increase body, but also since not all of that sugar will ferment out, it will leave a residual taste behind?? And it sounds like that's what i'm shooting for.

Might consider mashing a little longer. With over 30% wheat keep an eye on starch conversion. Recipe looks tasty.

got it. i'll probably run a 75 min mash up at 158ish, and a 15 min mashout at 170

Mashing warmer in itself will not get you a sweeter beer. The dextrines you'll be leaving in your beer are not sweet, in fact, they are flavorless. It might lead to lower attenuation, meaning more unfermented sugar in the beer. To get the impression of sweetness, add some honey malt or low Lovibond crystal.

Back