Blending batches

Tallbrewer

Premium Plus Member
Reaction score
Well I've recently made the jump from homebrewing on my 50L system to opening a commercial craft brewery with a 20HL and 5HL brewhouse. We do double batches to fill our 40HL and 10HL fermenters. I've used brewers friend for so long as a home brewer I'm continuing with it for now on the commercial side. It has many features I like that the other software on the market doesn't have. One feature though that would be awesome to have is the ability to combine 2 batches into 1. I currently create 2 brews of the same recipe for a single brew day and take a gravity reading for both and the combined gravity reading at the end. I usually just make a note in the brew log with the combined gravity on the 2nd batch. I find that at times the gravity we get on the first isn't always the same on the 2nd batch. Sometimes we also make adjustments on the 2nd batch to compensate for higher or lower efficiency on the first batch. I would think there's many ways to do this. You could have a batch being the full fermenter volume and have the volume split into separate brews. In the end it would be nice to have a brew log for the fermenter for the full volume and tracking for the fermenter

One other feature that would be nice is the ability to have multiple profiles on one account and each profile is tagged when changes are made in the system. ie withdrawals from inventory, brews, logging gravities. All of this would show who made the changes. It would help with tracking and resolving brewhouse logs and online logs.

I know that's lots to ask and probably more inline with commercial software but its a thought. Something maybe for another "commercial" version of brewersfriend. Still love the software and looking forward to your feedback.

Matt Barber
Foamers Folly Brewing Co

Hi Matt,
Thank you so much for these ideas. It's really awesome to hear you're continuing to use Brewer's Friend in the commercial world!

You're right that those are pretty tall orders in terms of development, but I love the idea of offering a commercial set of tools that's more relevant to large scale brewing. We're up to our ears in the personal brewing side of things currently, but I'm definitely bringing this up to our team to see what we can do in the future.

Again, really appreciate the ideas - keep them coming!

Back