Black Ipa

BrainYYC

Trial Member
Reaction score
Started with one of Palmers recipes for a black ipa and applied hops on hand.

Obviously Kveik isn’t standard for this style but I’ve read a lot of success stories of folks brewing many styles with this yeast (and I have it on hand). Same story for the hops, I’m using what I have cryosealed in my freezer.

critique away folks :)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1132052/kveik-blackish-ipa

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty good start.
This is what I would do differently (my black IPA is killer btw)

To thin this out a bit, and help to make less like a stout/porter, I would add some sugar (2%) to the fermentables.
I use dark belgian candi sugar for this, but you can use any simple sugar.
This will increase you ABV, if you want to keep it where it is you could adjust the base malt to compensate.

For the dark malt, I would recommend that you "cap the mash", which is to keep it aside and add it to the mash in the last 15 minutes.
This will give you the color without imparting as much of the flavor. I use dehusked carafa special III in mine.
The dusked malt has a percentage of the husk removed, this reduce the roasted flavors.
I am not familiar with the black malt you have in there, this may not be necessary with it.
Others may be able to comment on that.

To get some decent hop aroma, I would increase the dry hop addition. You have about 2 grams per liter there. I would increase that to 7 or 8 grams per liter.

20200411_174429.jpg

I also see that the mash pH is pretty high, too high.
If it is accurate you will need to lower that, 88% lactic will work, or some people use phosphoric.
Personally I use acidulated malt. I kept forgetting to add the lactic, so using acidulated is just easier for me.
I don't use either in my black IPA mind you, the carafa III brings the pH into range.

A quick read on that malt, if you use this, I wouldn't worry about capping the mash. I may switch to this once I use up all of my dehusked

...For the dark malt, I would recommend that you "cap the mash", which is to keep it aside and add it to the mash in the last 15 minutes...
Apostate :p

Depends on how much you like your roast flavours. I love them so I have them in for the whole length of the mash.

Based on your recipe it certainly makes sense, as that recipe is down the 'IPA with some dark colour' end of the scale. So if that's what you're going for, looks good. And it's also more in line with the BJCP if you care about that kind of thing. I prefer the 'is this really different from a stout' end of the scale.

For the kviek I'd use a more characterful yeast personally. I'm a big fan of Hornindal and Framgarden.
I think Hornindal is more widely available I see now in liquid form.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Craigerr I might hit you up to help walk me through adjusting the ph with lactic

Thanks again for the feedback.

Craigerr I might hit you up to help walk me through adjusting the ph with lactic
You know where to find me!
Question, have you entered your Calgary water profile as your source water profile?

Hi folks, so everything went well on this beer, the Kviek did its thing, bubbling after only a couple hours of pitch and completely finishing up in 5 days or so, OG/FG was right on target. I left a couple of extra days and bottled after one week. Waited another week and cracked a sample....its awesome, I'm so stoked on this one.

Question for the team: If I'm happy with carbonation level, flavour etc can I throw all these in my beer fridge. My concern is a may have used a little too much sugar in my primer, due to getting a little less out of the fermentor than expected. Would throwing them in the fridge stop further carbonation, or just slow it?

Extra thanks to Craig for taking the time to help with my water profile/mash ph :)

It'll just slow it. Will take significantly longer but will still carbonate. I'd suggest put them in a rubbermaid tote or something with a lid just in case.
Keeping them cold will keep the CO2 in solution though which may keep you safe.

OK, I should clarify that Im worried they may end up slightly over carbonated 3.2 versus 2.5.

I'm not too worried about exploders, just overly fizzy beer :)

Ill let them buck for the full three weeks then refrigerate.

On a side note Hawkbox the flip tops I use from a company in Airdrie https://www.ezpac.ca/swing-top-bottles/
claim to guarantee hold 100PSI. Nice bottles.

Oh neat. I've never seen those before. Yeah they're gonna be fizzy but not much you can do except drink em early.

Hi folks, so everything went well on this beer, the Kviek did its thing, bubbling after only a couple hours of pitch and completely finishing up in 5 days or so, OG/FG was right on target. I left a couple of extra days and bottled after one week. Waited another week and cracked a sample....its awesome, I'm so stoked on this one.

Question for the team: If I'm happy with carbonation level, flavour etc can I throw all these in my beer fridge. My concern is a may have used a little too much sugar in my primer, due to getting a little less out of the fermentor than expected. Would throwing them in the fridge stop further carbonation, or just slow it?

Extra thanks to Craig for taking the time to help with my water profile/mash ph :)
Glad I could help, brewing my Black IPA on Friday coincidentally!
I'm with @Donoroto give them a good thorough shake before opening.
Before you do, set up a video camera, then share the fun with us when you do!!

It'll slow carbonation, as mentioned. It'll also lead to more of the CO2 in solution, meaning lower pressure on the bottles, meaning less chance of bottle bombs. Might spew, but it shouldn't explode.

Back