BJCP category?

bret america

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I am planning to enter a beer in BJCP contest and not sure what category to place mine under - any thoughts would be appreciated! Below is my recipe and my personal description. I was thinking Saison but it may be too fruity and not dry enough. Another thought was Belgian Specialty, but not sure how to describe "Special" for this category. The idea was to create a Farmhouse Ale that was VERY Juicy and Fruity for a hot summer day - boat loads of Nelson hops, WL568 yeast, and a tad Special B.

Grain - 7x pilsner, 3x white wheat, 0.25x special B
Hops - Nelson - 1 oz bittering, 1 oz at flame out, 1 oz dry - Nelson was chosen because it is JUICY
Yeast - WL568 - Belgian style Saison - blend of saison and Belgian yeasts - very fruity

Description
appearance - dark golden sunburst to slightly amber, cloudy (bottled unfiltered), slight sediment
aroma - malt - slight grain, wheat // hops - distinctive New Zealand spiciness: black pepper, mace, and allspice are common // yeast - fruity
flavor malt - base- grainy, cracker, dough, slight honey // special b - caramel, dark fruit, burnt sugar
flavor yeast - fruity, phenolic, spicy, earthy, and clove like flavors
hops - Nelson Sauvin- earthy, fruity, spicy - gooseberry, melon, white wine with some dank

Depends on the outcome but definitely saison-ish. The "cabernet sauvignon" flavor of the Nelson Sauvin should be interesting in it! Be careful of the yeast, though. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same or very similar to Wyeast's 3724, a yeast that loves warm temperatures and loves to stall.

Back