BJCP category?

Discussion in 'Brewing Photos & Videos' started by bret america, Aug 18, 2015.

1. bret america

bret america New Member

Hi all - I am planning to enter a beer in BJCP contest and not sure what category to place mine under - any thoughts would be appreciated! Below is my recipe and my personal description. I was thinking Saison but it may be too fruity and not dry enough. Another thought was Belgian Specialty, but not sure how to describe "Special" for this category. The idea was to create a Farmhouse Ale that was VERY Juicy and Fruity for a hot summer day - boat loads of Nelson hops, WL568 yeast, and a tad Special B.

Grain - 7x pilsner, 3x white wheat, 0.25x special B
    Hops - Nelson - 1 oz bittering, 1 oz at flame out, 1 oz dry - Nelson was chosen because it is JUICY
    Yeast - WL568 - Belgian style Saison - blend of saison and Belgian yeasts - very fruity

Description
    appearance - dark golden sunburst to slightly amber, cloudy (bottled unfiltered), slight sediment
    aroma - malt - slight grain, wheat // hops - distinctive New Zealand spiciness: black pepper, mace, and allspice are common // yeast - fruity
    flavor malt - base- grainy, cracker, dough, slight honey // special b - caramel, dark fruit, burnt sugar
    flavor yeast - fruity, phenolic, spicy, earthy, and clove like flavors
    hops - Nelson Sauvin- earthy, fruity, spicy - gooseberry, melon, white wine with some dank

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
  3. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Depends on the outcome but definitely saison-ish. The "cabernet sauvignon" flavor of the Nelson Sauvin should be interesting in it! Be careful of the yeast, though. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same or very similar to Wyeast's 3724, a yeast that loves warm temperatures and loves to stall.