Bitter Off Flavor

Luzkin

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

There is a consistent "off" flavor during my last 2 batches. Looks, feel and tastes great BUT then it leaves a bitter after taste in the back of my tongue... I am using bottled water and have used Star Sar for sanitizing all the equipment but I have no clue what is causing this.
I brew All grains using Igloo cooler as MT.

Tough one since we can't taste it and bitter is most strongly perceived on the back of the palate. Your recipe and process might help us think this through with you....

Sure, I am sharing my standard Hefeweizen.
My concern is that this bitterness is quite unpleasable and stays in the back on the tongue for a while:

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Weissbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.023
Efficiency: 50%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.005
ABV (standard): 5.18%
IBU (tinseth): 14.56
SRM (morey): 3.97

FERMENTABLES:
3.6 lb - German - Wheat Malt (57.6%)
1.9 lb - German - Pilsner (30.4%)
0.75 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat - (late addition) (12%)

HOPS:
0.6 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 14.56

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Igloo Mash Tun

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - Wheat Beer Yeast WB-06

I don't see anything in there that would cause a bitter flavor. You say you use bottled water - do you know the source? Is there any chlorine in it? Hefeweizen yeasts tend to produce phenols that would react with chlorine to make a very bitter, medicinal flavor. One thing I don't see is how you're fermenting - that could lead to phenol production as well.

Thanks.... I cant say for sure the chlorine content on the bottled water but I will surely keep asking. I ferment using a glass carboy in a chest freezer with a thermostat.... i am not sure what has gone wrong this time...

Don't be scared to toss a half campden tablet in even with bottled water. It won't hurt it.

Well... i think this batch got infected because it smells super sour or acid (I am still debating which one describes it better). I bottled 2 weeks ago and tasted it last night and well... its not pleasant at all because the smell is pretty intense.

my guess would be vinegary soon enough if so. From Wiki

Acetobacter is a genus of acetic acid bacteria. Acetic acid bacteria are characterized by the ability to convert ethanol to acetic acid in the presence of oxygen. Of these, the genus Acetobacter is distinguished by the ability to oxidizelactate and acetate into carbon dioxide and water.[2] Bacteria of the genus Acetobacter have been isolated from industrial vinegar fermentation processes and are frequently used as fermentation starter cultures.[3

Well... i think this batch got infected because it smells super sour or acid (I am still debating which one describes it better). I bottled 2 weeks ago and tasted it last night and well... its not pleasant at all because the smell is pretty intense.
"Intense" is generally some form of enteric bacteria. You likely have a mixed culture. It's a dumper.

Ah shit, that sucks man.

Back