Biab

Brewer #114265

Trial Member
Reaction score
hello I'm doing a full volume mash in my cooler for 5 gallons of beer. I am kind of stumped on where to set this up. My boil off rate is 1.7 gallons per 60 min. I'm going to use the brew bag in my cooler so I won't have any loss in mash tun because I'll take grain bag out and drain then dumb what's left out of mash tun into kettle. Basically I need help setting up a profile. Thanks

From reading your post, it seems that you are well on your way to building an equipment profile. You want 5 gallons and will boil off 1.7, so 6.7 galions water minimum. You will use a bag and a cooler, so you have that set. You need to calculate your water loss in grain absorption which you likely do not know yet. It will be impacted by hanging the bag and draining versus squeezing the bag.

Have you by any chance seen the priceless BIAB calculator? My guess is that it will help.

https://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/#Advanced

Yea I have seen his website, and states that if doing a full volume no sparge then enter 0 for the value for grain to water ratio, I have tired that and it still enters .5 of a gallon.

I'm getting 8.45 on Brewers Friend total water needed and 7.85 on his website total water needed

I'm shooting for a SG of 1.040 and Priceless has estimated at 1.041 so cant get much closer than that

I would go with the 7.8. I assume your kettle will handle 7.8 plus your grain bill.

I used Priceless for a long time BIAB and if your numbers are correct for your equipment, it's very accurate. Mark is usually very supportive of his calculator if you're having issues or have questions.

Back