BIAB, no sparge method kettle size?

See,
I knew there were advantages to being single ;)

Actually it's an advantage to being married. After a few extract brews on the kitchen stove I quickly had authorization to purchase what I needed to brew outdoors. And since everyone knows you can't brew extract outdoors (shhhhh....I think my wife still believes this ;)) I had to go all-grain and therefore had to get a bigger kettle and had to get a wort chiller :rolleyes:. Actually, now that I think of it, an "accidental" boil over would accomplish the same thing!

Last edited:
OK, I’m still pretty new to this, but I’ve made a few brews that my friends and family have liked very much. Any suggestions any of you may have are more than welcome!

I’ve done all my brews as 5 gal. (in the fermenter) BIAB. I don’t have space for all the equipment for more traditional methods, and even though I have a garage where I could use a propane burner, upstate NY winters are still too cold to work outside. So, I brew on the same stove I cook dinner.

I have a 5 gallon kettle (lobster pot) that I use. I usually start with 3 gal of water (about 1.25qt of water for each pound of grain), and another 2qt for sparge. I put a wire mesh strainer in the pot during the mash to keep the bag and grains off the bottom. I keep the flame on low and stir every 10 minutes or so. I’ve experimented with wrapping the pot with towels and other insulation and found I can keep the temp better with the flame.

At the end of the mash, I pull the grain bag out and put another strainer that fits across the top of the pot and let the grains drain. I sparge by slowly pouring the (heated) sparge water over the bag of grains. When the grains are done draining I pull the wire strainer out and crank the heat to start the boil.

When the boil is done and the wort cooled, I take a gravity reading and use an app on my phone to determine how much more water I need to hit my OG. I’ve always been within a quart or so of 5 gallons.
Sounds like you have a pretty good process there, and that is all that matters!
Are you having any problems that you need help with?

Sounds like you have a pretty good process there, and that is all that matters!
Are you having any problems that you need help with?

Nope, I'm not having any problems - yet :)

Just wondering if my process was sound or could use some tweaks/suggestions.

Your process seems pretty good.
Do you have a means to control temperature during fermentation?

Your process seems pretty good.
Do you have a means to control temperature during fermentation?

My basement stays pretty stable at 65-70F. I have a CoolBrewing insulator if I need it colder. I keep a thermometer in the fermentor to keep tabs on the internal temp.

Perfect
Are your brews turning out just good, or great? Are you looking to improve your beer?

Perfect
Are your brews turning out just good, or great? Are you looking to improve your beer?

They are good - always looking for improvement! :)

I've recently bought, but haven't used yet, a grain mill, yeast starter kit and an oxygenation kit. Also got some brewing salts and whirfloc. I also have a pH meter.

There is a section in the forum for posting your recipes for feedback. If you are looking to improve on something post it up there. There a lot of very knowledgeable, and helpful people here who are happy to help.

Hi everybody,

I'm new to home brewing. I think it seems exciting and I have tried it a couple of times in school. I want to start brewing on my own at home.

I am a student and live in an apartment with limited space that I share with some others. I would therefore like to use the method: "brew in a bag" without sparge. I know that the efficiency is lower with this method and that you can make up for it by adding extra malt.

The problem is just that I have doubts, about what size brew kettle should when you don’t sparge and when extra malt is added. I want to be able to brew a 10-15 liter

I have looked at a brew kettle that contains 27 liters. Is it enough?

https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-pr...ferm/d/brewferm-electric-brew-kettle-sst-27-l

Kind regards

LaksenBaksen
I highly recommend an electric brewer. The ease of an all-in-one and electric is worth it weight in gold imo! I can't say for sure how well the one you listed works but certainly do your research on all in one systems. Good luck!

That's a neat little piece of kit. That should do the job fine, but once you get the bug you'll need something shinier and better anyway.

For a student though? Hell yeah that should work a treat.

I highly recommend an electric brewer. The ease of an all-in-one and electric is worth it weight in gold imo! I can't say for sure how well the one you listed works but certainly do your research on all in one systems. Good luck!

A good friend of mine who's been brewing for years has promised me his old grainfather - once the pandemic is over and we can actually get together!

I'll likely still do the "hands-on" approach just cuz I like the touchy-feely stuff :)

I too was banned from the kitchen after my 1 and only 3 gallon kitchen brew. :oops: But I loved that I could use the oven to mash at a perfectly consistent temperature. My propane burner is a lot more challenging!

If you can only do 2.5 gal at a time on the stove top because of size and heating limitations you can brew the same 2.5 gal recipe twice in a day and combine them in a 5 gallon fermenter. Mash the second batch in the oven while boiling the first. It will add an hour or 2 to your brew day but I am sure you would use the extra time waiting for the boil to finish to study. Right? ;)

Although size is important , you can mash the same amount of grain in a smaller volume of water and then take out the bag , squeeze the living daylights out of it , rinse it with enough water to make up your boil size and add this back to the pot. ( so you can get away with a smaller pot)

Back