BIAB kettle insulation

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Hoping to do my first BIAB since the twins were born on Memorial day weekend and I'm looking to upgrade the insulation for my kettle. I previously brewed indoors on an electric stove top and used a heavy blanket to cover the kettle during the mash. Now I brew outside on a propane burner and the blanket just seems less practical. I'm looking to wrap the sides and lid of the kettle with insulation but I'm just trying to find something that's affordable but also not flammable and that can hold up to the temps of a boil. Anyone have any suggestions they have experience with?

Neoprene maybe? But that's probably flammable.

I use foilboard on my fermenter it's about an inch thick it's semi ridgid so you need vertical cuts in it to shape it.

Are you adding heat during the mash or just heating strike water and mashing?

Are you adding heat during the mash or just heating strike water and mashing?
The latter but being that I do BIAB and mash and boil in the same vessel I want something that I'm not going to need to remove when I'm adding heat

The latter but being that I do BIAB and mash and boil in the same vessel I want something that I'm not going to need to remove when I'm adding heat
Instead of wrapping it, why not just cover it? Make wood box that has 1" rigid insulation lined on it? You could even put an infrared lamp in it to heat the air

Personally, i would do a Rims and recirc

See this would be easier if you were using electricity to heat but heating the kettle with a flame now that's where it gets tricky.

I hesitate at advise any insulation at all, as it must be fireproof. Even glass wool (fiberglass) can melt. Welding blanket maybe, but best to just not insulate.

I had packing blankets, 2 works well, if needed a bungie cord to hold tight

Yeah I guess I was worried about the wind or it sliding off. Bungee is a good idea
Wait for amenable weather?

Yeah, even a sleeping bag will do until the flame gets lit. Or a fast bit of heat and a good stir.

So I actually had insulation around and I had jumped the gun on buying aluminum tape. Was going to return it but my dad actually had velcro laying around so I made an easily removable insulation jacket.
IMG_20230526_162830__01.jpg
IMG_20230526_162945.jpg
took 1 afternoon after work and one peach sour to get it done
IMG_20230526_163417.jpg

Back