Better Attenuation!

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all.
Been reading on www.braukaiser.com again my favourite Brewer geek website at the moment:p.

This bloke has done some pretty cool experiments with certain brewing practices. One I stumbled upon today was called Enzymes in the Fermentor. His experiment was three brews one consisting of a normal mash, one consisting of enzymatic rich mash added to fermentation and third one was some beano added to fermentation.

He was testing if adding enzymatic rich mash to fermentation would result in better attenuation through the amelase enzymes continuing to break down sugars in the wort! What a great idea I think yes you'd have to be super careful of bacteria spoilage through adding unbolied mash water to fermentor but I'm sure if added with yeast that the yeast would outcompete any lacto before they got a foot hold in the brew.:rolleyes:

The control fermentation the one with just wort was 75%
The enzymatic fermentation was 85.9% (higher than any of my previous attenuation)
The beano fermentation was 87%
The yeast used was weizen yeast.

I just thought I'd spur this concept into the minds of all you creative home brewers.

Whatdya recon worth a burl? Check it out at www.braukaiser.com under "Enzymes in the Fermentor" . Cheers;).

Available here , my LHBS calls it "low carb enzyme "
been asked to do a typical aussie megaswill beer for my non crafty friends ....Even my Pils had too much flavour for them ! My IPAs scare them .... heheheheh

I didn't think of that. I suppose that is the easy way to do it without risking an infection. Cheers I just thought I'd post about it one thing is probably can't use amelase enzyme in Germany going by there purity lawo_O.

I'm pretty happy with my attenuation ATM around 80% on average using 34/70 and wlp090 .

If you go to far with attenuation it will have no mouthfeel, will taste watery and won't have a head. If your in the low 80ish area be happy. If you want bar swill go buy some. It's cheaper than making it! :confused:

Back