Best yeast for a high gravity barleywine.

Msikorskas

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to home brewing. I have made about 3 beers (all extract, because I can't afford all grain yet.). I'm currently trying to piece together an English Barelywine. I like my beer strong and plan on it having come out to an OG of about 1.105 (give or take). What would the best choice for yeast be?

I used US-05 in my Narwhal clone RIS. OG 1.100. FG 1.024. ABV 9.98. I believe Sierra Nevada uses Chico yeast in both their Narwhal RIS and Big Foot Barleywine. I don't think you can go wrong there.

Last edited:
I used US-05 in my Narwhal clone RIS. OG 1.010. I believe Sierra Nevada uses Chico yeast in both their Narwhal RIS and Big Foot Barleywine. I don't think you can go wrong there.
Thank you for your input. Do you make a starter?

Yes. Make a starter for a big beer. I also used pure oxygen in the wort. I haven't tried it but others have good success with a second pitch after the krausen forms.

Yes. Make a starter for a big beer. I also used pure oxygen in the wort. I haven't tried it but others have good success with a second pitch after the krausen forms.
Thank you, I appreciate any advice I can get at this point.

Big beers take big mash tuns or two mashes combined. Lots of work lol

Back