Best time to add Hops to maximize flavor/aroma

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've been adding a bittering charge at either FWH or 60, sometimes even at 45 or 30 then rest go in at 15 min, 10 , 5 and zero. Sometimes I add a WP then I'll dry hop with 3-6 oz depending on what I am looking for. I find the flavor/aroma is lacking so wanted to experiment with timing of adding hops.

What is the best way to maximize flavor/aroma?

I do 2.5 gallon batches (fermenter size), and for hoppy ales will typically do 1oz at 15, 1oz at 5, 2oz in a 15 min whirlpool around 200ºF, and then dry hop 2-4oz. plenty of hop flavors come through

actually amounts of hops and the right yeast matters the most besides times, I just did a comparison with 2 yeast brewed the same beer with massive hops at the whirlpool and both were good but the coopers ale yeast had much more hop aroma all threw to the end of the beer than bry97 did so I just switched house yeast for hoppy beers

Reactions: J A
actually amounts of hops and the right yeast matters the most besides times, I just did a comparison with 2 yeast brewed the same beer with massive hops at the whirlpool and both were good but the coopers ale yeast had much more hop aroma all threw to the end of the beer than bry97 did so I just switched house yeast for hoppy beers
I've never seen Coopers Ale Yeast. My local LHBS doesn't carry it. Do you know who sells it online?

Another thing to consider (since it looks like you're adding a decent amount of hops) would be water chemistry.

I use Bru n Water for water chemistry. it's still a work in progress tho.

I try, but the learning curve on it is a vertical wall.

This site's water calculator does a pretty good job.... Only thing to really worry about with water is to get the mash pH to around 5.4.

Been experimenting with this last few batches. For pale to orange worts we noticed a big difference moving to start of boil, flameout with a 30 minute steps and then two dry hop stages. Huge aroma and flavour but shelf life is rubbish. 2-3 weeks later it's largely gone.

Next steps are to try and understand the role of flameout vs the dry hop. So next batch is to move the flameout back to 10 minutes and then batch after that is no dry hop.

Also black wort with the same approach had great aroma but the flavour was missing, probably masked by the grains.

Back