Best intro beer for people that drink bud light

Brewer #248031

Trial Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend as a nice starter beer recipe for the bud light crowd. I just moved and I have great new neighbors. They just can't stomach my IPA's. I'd like to brew something for them, and I don't want to try too many recipes. Also, I don't lager.

Thanks much.

A saison is good intro to craft beer. A lot of people don’t like IPA’s because some breweries go extreme on the hops. So, something well-balanced.

Cream Ale, Blonde, Helles. Wit is okay as well but the newbie might find the flavors strange.

Probably about any light colored ale 4-5% abv not too hoppy OR too sweet(probably 20ish IBU)...been working on exactly what you're doing myself lately. Brewed a Blonde a few days ago in fact.

Don't waste your good homebrew on them if they are comparing everything to Bud light. If you have them over just go but some BL for them and you drink your homebrew
Best answer yet!
It is a tremendous undertaking of time and effort to make beer. Here is a possible scenario. You make beer that you actually don't really care for, and your freinds end up not liking it either. Collossal waste of time and energy, not to mention beer.

Yep, the last two posts got it right. I don't know why a homebrewer would ever try to make what they can get so cheaply and easily in stores, don't like, and only occasionally pull out when someone who doesn't appreciate the good stuff shows up. Had to judge those once in a competition (American Light Lagers). They were either complete crap or Helles wannabes.

Why not a hazy ipa? Not too bitter, not too sweet. Plus you could just tell them it's an orange juice!

Why not a hazy ipa? Not too bitter, not too sweet. Plus you could just tell them it's an orange juice!
That's a good way to turn a Bud Light drinker into a Coors Light drinker. Give them something not too far away from what they know, but more flavorful. The bready malt of a Helles or Koelsch, the light esters of a Blonde, something not too overwhelming. That's how I converted a friend from Bud Select, not by handing him my incredibly complex, flavorful Saison, but by handing him a blonde ale.

On an additional note, MOST of the Busch Light drinkers around here enjoy Spotted Cow.

My last run of "Blonde on Blonde" was a big hit with that crowd. My younger brother and a couple of my buddies have been referring to it as "the good beer"(they haven't really cared for a lot of the beers I brew) and have asked when I'm making it again(7 gallon batch lasted all of 2 weeks).

Back