Best and most affordable refractometer?

bonobrews

Trial Member
Reaction score
Especially since I've started doing 2-gal batches, taking a full sample is a little wasteful and I have to wait for it to cool down. I've missed my numbers a few times since I couldn't take accurate samples straight from the boil kettle. SO... I want a fancy refractometer. OooOOoooOoo. :geek:

Any rec's on your favorite, most affordable instrument? Online/in my LHBS? Your experience is valuable. To me at least.

It's not a refractometer, but have you considered a wine thief? As long as you sanitize it, and the hydrometer of course, properly, you can take a sample and then gently put the wort back into the fermenter without oxidizing it much, if at all. I just got one recently and found that it was much easier and less wasteful than my previous method, which used a turkey baster to remove the sample for a hydrometer.

A wine thief is awesome and a must have, but nothing can really replace the convenience of a refractometer on brew day, for mash, run off and boil measurements. (must and cider too!)
I like anything that Hanna Instruments manufactures.

I use my refractometer for estimates while brewing. It's accurate enough for that. For the critical measurements or for measurements after fermentation starts, it's the good old fashioned float.

@Evan: When I take a gravity reading I never put the sample back into the carboy, I taste it. That's how I know the beer is done.

@nosy: what I like about the thief is that I can do both. I'll return some of the sample and retain some to taste. I only just got the thief, as I had been using a pretty primative method prior to that. My turkey baster testing went out the window when the actual tube portion popped off the bulb mid-squeeze and dropped into the carboy. Awesomeness right there.

@Larrybrewer fast forward to the day when I have enough moneys for $250 home lab equipment. I'll be brewing on my boat by then. :cool:

@EvanAltman36 I'm habitually nervous about returning samples to the carboy, just a byproduct of my industry experience in pharmaceuticals. But... alcohol is a sterilant, right? I'm torn on this.

Might just as well drink it.... Homebrew is good, even flat (and green)...

Fact is, I'm sipping a sample right now - an English Porter that, if it continues to age well, will be just wonderful!

bonobrews said:
@EvanAltman36 I'm habitually nervous about returning samples to the carboy, just a byproduct of my industry experience in pharmaceuticals. But... alcohol is a sterilant, right? I'm torn on this.

RDWHAHB. If you've properly sanitized everything, there really shouldn't be a problem. I mean, you're always running a risk when you introduce any testing/sampling equipment to the beer, but if you have taken necessary precautions you eliminate much of the risk. However, all the equipment in the world can't replace a good old-fashioned taste test.

True. My enjoyment of the samples is personal preference. It's about two ounces of beer - I can spare that....

Back