“Belgian Wit” recipe

Jgarb86

Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to start by saying with this recipe, I am not worried about staying true to style. Just trying something. Do a Belgian Wit without any zest or spices. Partly because the last couple I did I couldn’t get it right. Also because I’ve never used Mandarina hops and want to see what they offer. So here is my “Belgian Wit”, or whatever you would like to call it.

2.5 gallon fermenter volume BIAB
3 pounds Belgian Pilsner
2 pounds flaked wheat
.2 pounds flaked oats
Single infusion mash at 150 for 60 min
60 minute boil
.3oz mandarina at 15 minutes
.3oz mandarina at 5 min
.4oz mandarina whirlpool for 15 minutes
Wyeast 3944

OG 1.053
FG 1.012
IBU 23

Again I know the style calls for no hop aroma and the IBU’s are high for the style, and that’s fine with me. What I’m wondering, think it will taste good or not. And will it work fine with only just the late hop additions or should I have some at 60. Or are there hops that have even more orange flavor than mandarina.

Great idea. I think a hop that doesn't clash with the yeast esters would work well.

I've found Mandarina Bavaria has been more subtle than I expected so it shouldn't be overwhelming. And I see it as completely in sync with the Belgian version of 'balance' and ignoring the style guide is something that's also completely in sync with Belgian brewing approaches.

I'd mash for 90 minutes as I like a really dry wit (pun not intended).

I tried this last fall with Mandarina for the same reason as you, I wasn't entirely satisfied. It definitely had a citrus flavour but it wasn't the same.

Give it a try for sure but don't expect miracles.

Back