belgian ipa

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Going to be attempting to brew this summer alone, while she's in belgium.

3 gallon boil --> 2.25 gallon batch
4.50# Belgian Pale
0.25# CaraVienne
0.50# Flaked Wheat
0.50# Cane Sugar in the boil

Citra for 60 and 5
Galaxy for 20 and 5
dry hop with both

Wyeast 3711

questions i have,,
CaraVienne? Anyone have experience using this as a specialty malt, i really want to stay away from the caramel side of things.
I'm also considering Wyeast 3724, anyone have strong opinions on French v. Belgian saison strains? OR, is there a better yeast than both of these that i can utilize?
Ferm temperature, i'll be away from my ferm chamber for this brew, and considering using a basement, but i'm wondering if it'll possibly be too cold down there. What's the experiences around here fermenting saison strains really hot? Or on the lower end?

since no one else is answering, thought i'd try to offer some help. a saison is upcoming on my brew list, so this is really just conjecture and based on other posts and articles I've read

ive not used caravienne specifically, but I think the sugar you have will help to dry the beer out and balance whatever sweetness the malt brings. plus, at that percentage, I don't think it'll be overpowering, especially with the hops and belgian-y stuff going on

from what i've heard, saison yeasts take a while to finish up, so perhaps the higher temp and long time away will work in your favor for this brew. I know you're in Louisiana, but how hot are you talking about compared to the yeast's range?

quoting a website that sells it
"Caravienne® is a light crystal malt used by Belgian breweries to produce Abbey or Trappist style ales, and is appropriate for any recipe that calls for crystal malt. It is also known as Cara 20.
19-27 L"

also there are some dry Abbye and saison strains that are very good

i'll actually be in missouri for the summer, and most likely putting the fermenter in the basement of a house. There is a storage room sans windows and lights, which i'm guessing is where the beer will sit, and it might be under temperature in there for a belgian strain. Just curious if anyone has specific experience fermenting at the top or bottom of the temperature range.

I'll stick with CaraVienna, i've seen it used in some other beers i like. Which dry yeasts are you referring to? I know there's S-33, and it's at a much more comfortable range for me. Any specifics on flavor?

Danstar - abbaye, Belle Saison

Safbrew - abbaye, Belgian

the abbaye has a sweet plumb flavor, even at 60

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
Danstar - abbaye, Belle Saison
the abbaye has a sweet plumb flavor, even at 60

Belle Saison can start low and finish out in the high 70's for temp. Could be a good choice.

just a note on the temps here, I live in the southern tip of Missouri and the ground temperature is 52 right now, the temp swings from 50 to 80 here lately but in the summer its muggy hot because the whole state is filled with trees and vegetation. the temperature gets up to 103 in the peak of summer and the ground water raises to 62 to 65 in mid summer as far as basements they stay fairly close to 60 most of the summer, of course the farther north you go it gets colder

funny tonight I went to get gas and on the shelf was a six pack that said Belgium IPA, just took a look at the bottle and its from New Belgium and called ranger, Indian Pale Ale, first taste, simcoe and cascade hits you in the face, im sure theirs more, not bad

i'll be driving through the bootheel in route to St. Louis, no stranger to its summers and whatnot.

60 sounds a little too cold, nice for most of my ales though. i need to record some real data when i get there to really figure things out.

I always find "Belgian IPA" to taste vaguely poisonous with the combination of phenols and bitterness.... Belgian yeasts like heat! Start them cool then warm the beer through the process to keep them going, some are notorious for stalling at about 1.030.

I love New Belgium's Ranger IPA! Of course, they're just up the road from me in Fort Collins so we get it fresh.... I also love Great Divide's Collette Belgian Saison. If you want to know what a Belgian IPA would taste like, get one of each and blend them.

Good luck with it!

http://www.clownshoesbeer.com/cs_beer/t ... -pale-ale/ <-- Clown Shoes Tramp stamp, one of the best i;ve ever had.

As for the bitterness, I'm only doing 1 small 60 addition, the rest at 20, 5, and dry hop. And i've been really happy with the burst that Galaxy and Citra give off together. now that i'm reading, TRamp Stamp says they use Chambly yeast, i'm assuming they're talking about wy3864?

And Nosy, it sounds like i should get a ferm wrap? If the basement is too cold, let it start that cold, ferm temps will ramp it up by itself to 65ish, and then ferm wrap it on day 2 or 3, and let it finish within the next 10 days.

I ferment all my beers that way, start at 59 to 62 then after 5 days 65 to 67 then on day 7 bump it up to 70 till day 10 then check, most beers are done at day 10 and settled pretty well

You will need to increase the temps as fermentation proceeds. I don't know if it's a Fermwrap or some other heat source but you will need to up the temperature. I sometimes use a cheap plastic cable tub and an aquarium heater - saves having to have a thermostat of some kind to maintain the temperature.

if its setting on the basement floor just put it on something like a crate and use a blanket

Nosybear said:
I love New Belgium's Ranger IPA! Of course, they're just up the road from me in Fort Collins so we get it fresh.... I also love Great Divide's Collette Belgian Saison. If you want to know what a Belgian IPA would taste like, get one of each and blend them.

Good luck with it!
yes drinking the New Belgium's Ranger IPA! , you cant taste any grain at all or yeast, its just hops in your face, I don't think what grain or yeast would matter brewing this beer, im guessing the only boil hops is bittering, the rest is dry hopped massively

my take on the recipe based on what I tasted like
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... ranger-ipa

results are in. not so bad, it'll get into the 70s with active fermentation happening, but i'll need a new spot after a couple days to warm it up.

Attachments

• IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 926
As far as Yeasts go- I'm a fan of Wyeast 1214- it produces a nice "Belgiany" flavor profile that works well with almost any Belgian ale, especially with a wit bier base, which is what it seems like you have going here (minus the Caravienne). It attenuates really well, too, without drying things out (although I'm not sure how it will perform with the added sugar in the boil).

MC

Good experience at lhbs this past week, decided to go with my same recipe as my Pale, 2-row, Munich15, Honeymalt, and Flaked wheat, Citra and Galaxy hops, but just swapping the yeast. They recommended Wy3522, Belgian Ardennes. Looks like i'm rolling with that, planning to brew this on monday. However, she's actually in belgium right now, so i'm short a pair of hands.

OK, brewed it today. LHBS was out of Galaxy, so i subbed Falconer's Flight.
did 4# 2-row, 0.5# Munich 15, 0.5# Honey malt, and 0.5# flaked wheat. and added 8oz cane sugar around 15.

Need help with what happened. Collected a post boil sample, at 1.073, expected 1.069 = 70% efficiency. woo!

But... cooled down the batch and refractometer was only reading 1.058 = 53% efficiency. What the hell happened?

Back