Belgian Dubbel

Sandy Feet

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
As always, playing around with ideas for future brews.
Depending on when I can brew it, and if it is still reasonably warm maybe in early December, I was toying with the idea of a Belgian Dubbel, probably on the lower end of the alcohol for the style. When coming across recipes, I am seeing a lot of Carafa and Special B. These are things I have not used in the past. For those of you that have, how do they compare with Crystal or in some cases Chocolate malt? I assume these are being used for a specific reason and that is why Crystal is not in most of these recipes.
Also, if any of you have brewed this style, did you like a particular yeast that I can get the equivalent from my homebrew store that sells White Labs?
I tried making a Single a couple of times before. I think I got close to what I wanted, but I still think I need to change the yeast out in the future as the Ardennes was more for the high alcohol beers, I was hoping to get a little more character out of the yeast in the future. I probably just needed to go hotter earlier, but that is harder to do for me in the winter.

I'm not a Belgian expert, but I'd assume the Carafa is there primarily for a bit of color (and maybe a hint of roasty dryness.)

Carafa comes in 3 different colors:
Carafa 1 - ≈ 345L
Carafa 2 - ≈ 435L
Carafa 3 - ≈ 530L

And those 3 are also available de-husked, as Carafa "Special" 1, 2 and 3. The de-husked is supposed to be somewhat less inherently bitter.

Weyermann considers these "Chocolate Malts", and the usual descriptions apply...coffee, chocolate, roasty etc. I've used Carafa quite a bit and at the small amounts used, it's really hard to tell them apart flavor wise. YMMV.

Again, I'm assuming you would only be using a smidge of Carafa and any will work to get the color in line.

I'll let others speak for Special B.

The quarterly one looks nice and simple. Thanks for the responses, explaining the ingredients and help with the yeast. I'm going to look through a few more things too.
On the rare occasion I see one of those at the bar, they are too big to drink and drive home. The only more sessionable one that I have seen at a brewery was in Ocala. That is an hour away. I like the idea of trying to lower the alcohol a bit for my taste at home and to learn about new ingredients.

Last edited:
The quarterly one looks nice and simple. Thanks for the responses, explaining the ingredients and help with the yeast. I'm going to look through a few more things too.
On the rare occasion I see one of those at the bar, they are too big to drink and drive home. The only more sessionable one that I have seen at a brewery was in Ocala. That is an hour away. I like the idea of trying to lower the alcohol a bit for my taste at home and to learn about new ingredients.
I'm a bit surprised. As far as I know they fall inbetween the blondes and tripels in alcohol percentages.
I'm not a fan, there is something in the dubbels and quadruppels I don't like.
I love blondes and tripels though.
I think it is the caramel

The Dubbels and Quads are darker and more complex. When they are made correctly, they are very good. Some of the other recipes I am seeing online have a somewhat complex grain bill. I watched some YouTube videos last night, and I am starting to understand why and what some of these other malts do.

Have you checked out this Quarterly Community Brew?
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1134070/mannequin-pees-us
Here is my version, which I really liked
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1227277/dubbel-switch
I used WLP-550, because LHBS was out of WLP-500.
I don't know what will be available when I brew this, but I did see the WLP500 available in the next generation pure pitch. I initially thought, "Holy shit, this is expensive", until I realized it appears to be a 2X package which is what I pitch anyway at a price less than 2 packages of normal, liquid yeast.

Might be worth using google translate and check out the Flemish and Dutch home brewing forums.
If you have a specific type you like, lemme know and I'll do some browsing for you

Might be worth using google translate and check out the Flemish and Dutch home brewing forums.
If you have a specific type you like, lemme know and I'll do some browsing for you
That is really nice. I think I have an idea. It is a mix of what I saw on one of the hombrewer association's web site and the Apartment Brewer's YouTube channel.
I might post the idea when I get some time and get some feedback from y'all.

Idea:
5 lbs Maris Otter
4 lbs Belgian Pils
1lb Wheat
1lb Munich I
8 oz Special B
8 oz Aromatic
1lb D-180 Candi Syrup
WLP 500 - The equivalent of 2 packs
Styrian Goldings 1.25 oz 60
Saaz 1 oz 10
Single Infusion BIAB 60 minute mash @149F

The ingredients fall in line with the recipes from other sources, but my lack of efficiency looks like it puts it in the 5.8-6.3 range - right where I want it. Brewers Friend and BeerSmith both have it fairly close to those numbers with my experience that I won't hit OG and I will probably go lower in FG.

As always, playing around with ideas for future brews.
Depending on when I can brew it, and if it is still reasonably warm maybe in early December, I was toying with the idea of a Belgian Dubbel, probably on the lower end of the alcohol for the style. When coming across recipes, I am seeing a lot of Carafa and Special B. These are things I have not used in the past. For those of you that have, how do they compare with Crystal or in some cases Chocolate malt? I assume these are being used for a specific reason and that is why Crystal is not in most of these recipes.
Also, if any of you have brewed this style, did you like a particular yeast that I can get the equivalent from my homebrew store that sells White Labs?
I tried making a Single a couple of times before. I think I got close to what I wanted, but I still think I need to change the yeast out in the future as the Ardennes was more for the high alcohol beers, I was hoping to get a little more character out of the yeast in the future. I probably just needed to go hotter earlier, but that is harder to do for me in the winter.

I have always had luck subbing the equivalent colored malt(black, chocolate, etc). I also tend to prefer debittered black(briess prinz or equal). Been a long time since i have brewed any Belgian beers. I think im gonna do some belgian beers this winter. im gonna follow this for yeast recommendations!

When I looked at the WLP 500, it had a 65-72F range on the temperature which is lower than the 550. At that range, I can still borrow the wife's hairdryer for the garage refrigerator if we have a cold snap.

Back