Belgian Dubbel - BIAB

Smitty27

Trial Member
Reaction score
This will be my second BIAB recipe and wanted to get some critiques on it. Can the BIAB be done like extract where I can make a 3 gallon batch and just add water to get to 5 gallons or is it best to keep it to one size? I was thinking the mash temperature should be around 145-150F @90min but should there be any other rest that it could benefit from?

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 7.01%
IBU (tinseth): 22.77
SRM (morey): 17.26

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - German - Pilsner (79%)
1 lb - Belgian Candi Syrup - Amber - (late addition) (13.2%)
8 oz - Belgian - CaraMunich (6.6%)
1.5 oz - German - Carafa I (1.2%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Tettnanger for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5, IBU: 16.11)
0.5 oz - Hallertau Hersbrucker for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.7, IBU: 6.66)

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 lb - Wheat Starch, Time: 60 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Trappist High Gravity 3787
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 80%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 78 F
Fermentation Temp: 70 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Ca2: 7
Mg2: 1
Na: 6
Cl: 1
SO4: 5
HCO3: 24

Yes - you can top off if you want. I would not top off though. The full wort boil helps drive off chlorine, allows complete water treatment, and is more sanitary. The trade off is it takes a larger kettle, and a chiller of some kind.

Not sure what the wheat starch is for?

I can't tell if this is a 3 gallon or a 5 gallon recipe, need to know that and the efficiency to provide more feedback.

Its a 3 gallon recipe and I want to make at least 5 gallons but I don't have a pot big enough to support 5 gallons. If its better to do a full volume and not top off then I'll just make two batches and have 6 gallons. :D

I'm not sure what the wheat starch is for either. I seen in it a few recipes and trying to research it to find out what it does. So far my efficiency is 68% but I've only done 1 BIAB batch.

68% is fine for BIAB.

Two batches, topping off, or jump up to a 15 gallon kettle so you can do 10 gallon batches :D

Hopefully soon I'll have a 15 gallon kettle but for now I'll work with what I have. As far as the wheat starch goes I can't find much about it. It seems to help with attenuation of the beer and brewhouse efficiency.

if your doing bib in a small pot to add water later your going to need to either brew a thick mash for a long period of time and use a 5 gallon recipe or do 2 batches back to back with 3,otherwise your efficiency will go way down and you'll have watered down beer

Back