Belgian Double

Cyfral

Trial Member
Reaction score
Brewed Belgian Double last night. Used a calculator on this website.
My small issue is that my recipe say that alcohol content will be around 6.6%, although when tested with Hydrometer my alcohol content will be around 7.8%.
Wondering if my Yeast Belgian Abbey M47 will be enough with higher alcohol content. (21 l batch)

The recipe builder is entirely dependent upon what you type in. In this case, take a look at what you have for "Efficiency' and compare it to what kind of efficiency you normally experience. My equipment generally gives me 78%, so that's what i have in there, see below.

I suspect your actual efficiency is higher. Play with that until the ABV comes closer to reality, that's probably close to your actual system efficiency.

M47 will be just fine at 7.8%, some web sites state is is tolerant up to 8%. At the worst case, you may find that the yeast does not attenuate as completely as you prefer, but it can be expected to come close.

Good luck, let us know how the batch turns out!

upload_2021-8-30_11-56-59.png

The recipe builder is entirely dependent upon what you type in. In this case, take a look at what you have for "Efficiency' and compare it to what kind of efficiency you normally experience. My equipment generally gives me 78%, so that's what i have in there, see below.

I suspect your actual efficiency is higher. Play with that until the ABV comes closer to reality, that's probably close to your actual system efficiency.

M47 will be just fine at 7.8%, some web sites state is is tolerant up to 8%. At the worst case, you may find that the yeast does not attenuate as completely as you prefer, but it can be expected to come close.

Good luck, let us know how the batch turns out!

View attachment 17234

Thank you so much for respond.

Hope my Yeast will be fine :) They started bubbling already. So far so good.

My efficiency was usually not the best. Although I think that my Belgian Candy was sweeter than expected.

My small issue is that my recipe say that alcohol content will be around 6.6%, although when tested with Hydrometer my alcohol content will be around 7.8%.
Are you saying that your OG was substantially higher than anticipated? Simple enough to dilute somewhat and get back to the desired OG.
Belgian yeasts can take alcohol content that high but there's no guarantee that you'll get full attenuation for other reasons. If your higher OG is a results of dextrin production rather than fermentable sugars, you could have a lower ABV than anticipated, anyway. If you get almost 8% ABV, that's not too far out of the range for Belgian beers, anyway. :)

Short update.
After 3 weeks od fermentation I was ready for bottling. Final Gravity was 1.014, not bad, around 7% alcohol. Priming using white sugar, 70g for 17 l od beer.
Tested one beer last Saturday, yes I know, only 7 days after bottling :) beer is good already, full of flavour, not to much of phenols. Nice beer

Back