Beer with wild violets?

Tomislava

Trial Member
Reaction score
I would like to make a wheat beer with wild violets. I gathered violets and dried them. I'm wondering whether I should steep them after boiling for 5-10 mins like a tea, or to make a tincture and add it to the fermenter 5-7 days before bottling?

personally would do the tea thing. definately say how it turns out. I love experimenting

You could just dry hop them once fermentation is done the alcohol produced from fermentation and the lower pH should inhibit any contamination issues.

I am curious about what the flavor contribution that you are looking for might be. I've never eaten a violet, no idea what it could bring. Is it ever used in cooking food?

I am curious about what the flavor contribution that you are looking for might be. I've never eaten a violet, no idea what it could bring. Is it ever used in cooking food?
Tastes like it smells. Fruity i guess.

Whatever works I guess. Those damn things better be sanitized somehow though. I have had Heather in Scottish Ales and wasn't it a thing to use herbs or whatever in place of hops for that style?

We used to get these as kids. They still make them.
PNG image.png

Insiders know their name is C Howards, not Chowards...

Dog tooth violets are totally edible...leaves and flowers...high in vitamin c too but they taste like any other leafy green...maybe they would play well with a grassy hop in an ipa?

Hopefully the OP comes back to pick up the comments and advice

Thanks for the advice! I brewed a wheat with 20 g of dried violets in the last 5 mins of the boil and I couldn't taste the violets at all. In fact even when I smelled them and brewed a siple tea, I couldn't sense anything. So I think they are just too weak when they are dried. I added butterfly pea though so at least the beer is purple! :)

Thanks for the advice! I brewed a wheat with 20 g of dried violets in the last 5 mins of the boil and I couldn't taste the violets at all. In fact even when I smelled them and brewed a siple tea, I couldn't sense anything. So I think they are just too weak when they are dried. I added butterfly pea though so at least the beer is purple! :)
As with most flower oils -including roses! - the boil temperatures will drive off most or all of the volatiles, which are the flavor and aroma. So maybe halfway through the cooling time instead?

Back