Beer-gas

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
As in the Guinness gas, beer-gas, nitrogen/co2 type stuff.

Got a setup for my birthday and I am carbing my first batch.

Does anyone else have experience with this? got a "5lb" tank of the gas, which was 2500psi at the start. After one day, I am down to 1500psi. This normal? Does it take a whole tank to charge a 5gallon batch? Granted, there is no liquid in this tank, it is purely nitrogen and co2 gas.

Just seems like alot

When I had my setup I carbonated the beer to 1.7 vols for a week. Then put it on beer gas

When I had my setup I carbonated the beer to 1.7 vols for a week. Then put it on beer gas
I have read that you can do it that way, I wanted to try it in the pure form first and only use nitro.

never tried the nito gas but I've found that if you double or triple your flaked barley it's almost as creamy

so I may have solved my issue. after much reading on the subject I decided that I am no way using that much gas. has to be a leak.

I was right x 3. got the 'ol soapy spray bottle out. Two hose leaks and one of the valves on the gang valve is leaking from the ball valve. fixed all three, we shall see if that solves it.

never tried the nito gas but I've found that if you double or triple your flaked barley it's almost as creamy
you dont get the same head or the super cool waterfall thing.................:p

I do use flaked oats and barely in my stouts and you are right, they do help.

We were actually talking about "beer gas" and Nitrogen and Nitogenating beer on the Zoom Call the other day.

Sounds like @Sunfire96 has got some IPA'S under some Nitrogen at her work?

She was talking crazy high PSI's like you mentioned.

What have you got your serving PSI at Minibari?

We were actually talking about "beer gas" and Nitrogen and Nitogenating beer on the Zoom Call the other day.

Sounds like @Sunfire96 has got some IPA'S under some Nitrogen at her work?

She was talking crazy high PSI's like you mentioned.

What have you got your serving PSI at Minibari?
I am still charging the beer. having never done this I am relying on the internet for wizdom, lol. so I am charging at 45PSI for 7-10 days and then it will serve at 30psi, +/- 5psi. you do HAVE to have a stout faucet though. a standard faucet at those pressures and you will get nothing but foam.

I havent done a Nitro beer in a while, but I do know that you are supposed to carbonate the beer to 1.7 V with CO2 and then push it with beer gas at whatever Pressure is specified.

Nitrogen will not really go into solution at a reasonable pressure.

Nitro beers are actually the nitrogen breaking the low CO2 carb out of solution and cascading down.

Last edited:
So it seems to have worked!

@Trialben, you wanted to see the first pull

https://fb.watch/pZdj-J5rP_/?mibextid=Nif5oz

20240202_172330.jpg

Back