Bavaria Weissbier

DagErik

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Can i use Spesial b in my weissbier kit to darken my beer. Or does spesila b not mix with wheat beer.

Special B is usually used in darker beers like Belgian Abbey and Trappist Ales. It has a raisin or dark fruit flavor that works well for rich Brown ales as well. It is a crystal malt, so it will add some sweetness to the final beer. To use it in a wheat beer for color, I would be careful in the quantity used, if you don't want the flavor effected too much. Why do you want to darken a wheat beer? The light color is proper for the style IMHO. If you are just feeling adventurous, give it a go and let us know the result.

I don't know if it would be in style, but a little sweetness to set off the tartness of the wheat might not be bad. Be cautious though - like CK said, it's got a distinct flavor that you don't want to overdo. If you just want more generic sweetness and color a light to medium caramel might be more appropriate, like caramunich 1. Like I said, I have no idea if that would be technically style appropriate or not, but it would work in general terms.

I got my beer kit today and my last partial beer didnt go so great. I didnt have mashbag last time. Now i have got my self a bag and have some left of spesial b. So i was just wondering if it would work. I dont think i will do the mash. But i have to uppen the alc volum frome 4,7 to 5.5 %. I will just ad 300g of korn sugar.
Im lookinforward to trying my Weissbier kit. How does it taste ?
Im doing the kit with WLP380 Hefeweizen IV

Thank for answards.

Heffeweisen is kind of tart and fruity - tart from the wheat, fruity from the yeast. It has low flocculance, so don't look for it to clear up much. It's an explosive yeast, so don't fool with an airlock: put some no-rinse sanitizer in a bucket and run an appropriate size hose from the carboy into it. Wait until it slows down, then put your sani filled airlock in place. White labs says that optimum temp is 66F to 70F - stay low to limit the fruity yeast flavors, higher to emphasize them. Good luck.

Back