Batch size exceeded?

Box of Rocks

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am puzzled by the quick water requirements, which states batch size exceeded and I need to reduce my boil size. Huh? All seems fine to me - targeting 4.5 in fermenter, and that seems to be what I got… Thoughts?
52CF3767-D205-47BC-836C-1B33B0974D0B.png

Are you using BIAB? Maybe the total weight of your grain along with the total water is larger than your kettle can hold.....just guessing here.

Are you using BIAB? Maybe the total weight of your grain along with the total water is larger than your kettle can hold.....just guessing here.
I am using biab, but am confident it won’t overflow for this relatively small beer! Have done this many times and have never seen this warning before (and can’t make it disappear by adjusting numbers, out of curiosity).

I am using biab, but am confident it won’t overflow for this relatively small beer! Have done this many times and have never seen this warning before (and can’t make it disappear by adjusting numbers, out of curiosity).
I got that same notification on my last brew - was not even close to overflow.

This is what I was thinking as well. @Herm_brews, in your screen shot, it says "equipment estimates 3.8 g" and the strike water is 4.05 gallons. It would appear the calculator thinks you are about 1 quart over the limit. Maybe try reducing water/grain ratio a little and see what happens.

This is what I was thinking as well. @Herm_brews, in your screen shot, it says "equipment estimates 3.8 g" and the strike water is 4.05 gallons. It would appear the calculator thinks you are about 1 quart over the limit. Maybe try reducing water/grain ratio a little and see what happens.
I use BIAB process. In the equipment profile, it says this:
Default Mash Thickness
Generally between 1.0-2.0 qt/lb or 2.0-4.0 L/kg. See article on mashing thick or thin for more information. This setting is not used in the BIAB Brew Method.

As such, I have that field blank in my equipment profile.
Something is fishy in the recipe builder again. I just checked another recipe, and it throws the same warning when I check Quick Water Requirements.

Less than a gallon boil off????

And your absorption loss...what's the grain bill weight? 5#?

Interesting. I am creating a new recipe, set my batch size (2.5 gallons in fermenter), entered my grain bill, hit the Calc button in the Boil Size section and got a reasonable number. Then I went to the Mash Guidelines section, clicked Add Quick Water Requirements, and got good numbers without any warnings about exceeding batch size.

So it seems QWR works well with a newly created recipe, but goes wonky on already existing recipes, at least in my case. I’ll keep working at it.

My recipe with wonky QWR was also a revision of an earlier recipe. Apparently that introduces ghosts in the machine.

Back