hop Schedule

amarillo gold .5oz 60min
amarillo gold .5oz 30min
amarillo gold .5oz 10 min

and this yeast
wyeast Northwest ale 1332
fermenting temp 68f

I get insane banana smell coming out of the bubbler

if i put an oz or 2 of amarillo has dry hop can i save my beer from the banana flavor that i dispise more than anything...

most likely you fermented too warm, 67 is the optimum temperature and I wouldn't go above 69 no matter what it says on the packet, the cooler the temp the better the flavor.

unfortunately the banana flavor will still remain even after dry hopping. you can cover it up with the dry hopping but the hop flavor will diminish some over time, so drink it fast lol

the first 3 days of fermenting is crucial, the first day even more, the temp needs to be the correct temp even the first day

I did my first all grain a couple of months ago (a pale ale). Into the fermenter at about 70 degrees.
I got up in the morning and checked it, and it had gone up to 85 degrees!

With the setup I had, I could keep the temperature up in winter but had no facility to cool and it really caught me by surprise how much heat the initial fermentation developed.

I put ice in the cabinet with it, and managed to get it back down but it would have had about 24 hours at way too hot. I could smell the fruity flavours coming out of the airlock! The rest of the fermentation was at the correct temperature, but the damage had been done.

Initially it was a VERY bad brew, but after about 8 weeks in the bottle I can drink it. Definately not one to give to visitors though!

Just done my second brew after modifying a fridge (a porter this time) - now I can control to the correct temperature no matter what. Had a taste today as I racked into the secondary and it tasted great!

Sounds like you may have had a similar issue.

Hey nzbrew, not to go OT, but just wanted to ask what part of NZ are in? I lived in Chch for 4 years, and that is where I caught the brewing bug. :D

sbaclimber said:
Hey nzbrew, not to go OT, but just wanted to ask what part of NZ are in? I lived in Chch for 4 years, and that is where I caught the brewing bug. :D

Hi there, I'm in Auckland but have family down south so have spent quite a bit of time down that way :cool:

Back