Bad Taste!!!

Jona4186

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys looking for a definitive answer on an off flavour.

Ok so 2 months ago i brewed a blue moon clone and as far as i could tell everything went well. Hit my og and fg and bottled. Had a taste on bottling day and it tasted fine (after adding priming sugar though) anyway left it upstairs at room temp for 4 weeks, tried a bottle and.......BAD!!!

the only way to desctibe the taste is it tastes and smells like an antiseptic cream almost like germolene.

Waited another week and tried another........same problem! It tastes like ass!
The carbonation and colour are fine but the taste is nasty.

Any thoughts on what went wrong? My sanitizing is flawless everything gets sprayed to death with starsan before it goes near my wort or beer. I read somthing that suggests it may be bad grain but the smell and taste seemed fine all the way through to the final product. I do think i over pitched the yeast. I used a wyeast3068 and it had 24 hours in a 1.25 L starter but im not convinced that that is the cause of this disgusting taste.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sounds like an infection to me. Overpitching is a subtle difference in outcome, this one sounds pretty bad. You state it tasted good at bottling day - can it be you infected it then? Perhaps you got a dirty bottle or bottles? One thing about Star-San, it has to remain in contact with a clean surface for a half minute or so to be effective. Spraying may not be the best way to ensure that. In any case, good sanitation or not, it sounds like an infection.

I dumped a bottle two nights ago for similar reasons, although the beer has been in the bottle over six months before arriving at the "undrinkable" stage.

Thanks for the link dude. As for bottling it shouldnt be that because they all get washed, rinsed and go through the bottle rinser filled with starsan. Who knows!?
Somthing got in........litttle b$#tards

I agree with nosybear. What you're describing sounds phenolic which usually comes from wild yeast.

Back