Bad Brew Day, and super fast fermentation?

Suga

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I had a bad brew day on Wed, Long story short I got a wort in the fermentor at 1.052 ( should have been 1.064)
pitched omega cosmic punch. At the 1.064 i was good with no starter but with 1.052 i think it was slight overpitch (this is 3.5 gal )
the yeast tore thru down to 1.012 ( per ispindel) in less then 24hrs. So i've speed up my dry hop additions, somewhat. Missed the high Krausen timing i wanted but was still going strong when added.
Anyway my question is how long do i need for good cleanup from the yeast, concerned with diethyl at this point? Don't want to leave the hops sitting to long don't want that off flavor either.

Did you test it with a hydrometer? 24 hours seems nearly impossible.
Give a taste too, see if it tastes off

Not yet, but ispindel was dead on with refractor and hydrometer when it went in(that was about the only thing to go right that day). Going to check later when I get home

Overpitch is not a big problem, it'll do no harm.
24 hours is a bit fast, yes.
Did you notice any bad odors? Sniff the airlock.
Also, if you can without introducing oxygen, taste a little bit.
If it tastes (really) bad, it is. If it tastes like beer, but a little 'off' or 'odd', you're still good.

A diacetyl rest of 2-5 days is typical, often about the same time as the fermentation. Longer (up to several weeks!) does no harm either, except for failing to quench one's thirst in a timely manner. If you can wait 3 days that is likely more than enough.

Yeah that is really fast, I'll try taking sample when I get home to verify, but visual evidence matches. Krausen was dropping out this morning and not perculating. And looking at spindel reading it has dropped to 1.009. so down to 1.012 in 24hrs then about 3 more points in last 20 hrs.
When I added last dry hop had really strong yeast smell. Didn't think that was problem since still had krausen at the time.
So about 3 days after gravity has stabilized should be good? Haven't worried about diethyl before as never have had such a fast ferment.

Last edited:

Back