Australian Brewers in the 70's/80's?

dandoduck

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm after some advice from anybody who was brewing in Australia in the late 70's or early 80's.

Granddad passed away some time ago now and I am in possession of some of his old extract beer recipes that he used to make back in the late 70's and early 80's. He kept them safe and hidden away in a tin box with his childhood photo's and other such things so evidently they were very important :)

I'd like to recreate his old brews as best as I can but if I'm going to produce the real deal I'm going to need some help from you guys to find a similar substitute for the hops that he was using at the time.

Hopefully somebody out there remembers "Lion" Hops? He used to buy it from the basement of David Jones in Queen street, Brisbane - as I said back in the late 70's and early 80's
If any of you guys remember it or have heard of it and could give me some idea of what a similar substitute might be I would much appreciate it :)

He was also using "Saunders pure malt extract" If anybody here used it back in the day and could give me an idea of how light or dark it was etc back then that would be helpful too.

He was also using Tandaco yeast (he would buy it from Barry & Roberts grocery - Queen street)
Now as far as I am aware Tandaco these days only make bread yeast. I'm going to assume that he was using the same back then but if anybody knows any better please I feel free to correct me!

I think that's all I need to know. Hopefully some of you remember these and I can bring it all back :)

I understand where you're coming from. I have tried to copy beer my Dad made in the 60's to the 80's. Look for local home brew shops that were there then. Hopefully they will be able to assist in your quest. It doesn't have to be the place he bought it from but they need to have sold ingredients then. Good luck and let us know what you find. You will probably need to substitute if companies are defunct but you never know unless you find some one who recognizes those ingredients. Google helps with lots of searches but not always what you need. Local brew shops that have been around can be very helpful in cases like this.
Dad used bread yeast for all his homebrew. It was fresh and easily available. Could have been bread yeast your granddad used. Look for people with experience brewing then.

Yes I suspect that may have to be my next step... I live in the UK these days though so it might be more of a google and telephone job.

Back