Attempt at ginger NEIPA

Suga

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Usually not a fan of standard IPA due to bitterness blocking flavor.
So going to try my hand at a ginger neipa. I saw a few ginger pale ales and from that came up with this.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1010025/hazy-ginger-neipa

what do you think of the amount of ginger? Don't necessarily want the bite from ginger just the taste.
Is the Centennial at 60 ok, or should i use Magnum? I like the clean short lived bitterness of magnum in regular ales.
Any other suggestions?

Ginger in an IPA/NEIPA, huh!
I can only comment on my experience with ginger in a Christmas Ale. The advice I got was to go easy on the ginger, it can be overpowering. Go ginger on the ginger so to speak. I did go easy on the ginger, and was glad I did, I was luck enough to hit the sweet spot on my first attempt. Good luck with it.

Ginger in an IPA/NEIPA, huh!
I can only comment on my experience with ginger in a Christmas Ale. The advice I got was to go easy on the ginger, it can be overpowering. Go ginger on the ginger so to speak. I did go easy on the ginger, and was glad I did, I was luck enough to hit the sweet spot on my first attempt. Good luck with it.
So what do you think of my current amounts?

Here is my recipe, not a hop forward beer at all, malt forward in fact, and cinnamon to boot. Other than to share this with you and say that I had great results, I really am not qualified to offer advice. I would never use ginger in an IPA, or a NEIPA, so I couldn't even guess as to what will work for you.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/718882/o-tannenbaum-christmas-ale
Yeah i know what you mean, thinking about that ginger bite/spiciness gives me some pause, which is why i started with what i thought was small amount. Saw as much as 6 oz in 5 gal ales so figured 1/2 oz good place to start, might dry hop for only 3 days and let the hops have couple days on their own.

Yeah just be careful. An ipa with hop bite which a lot of the neipas can have along with ginger is a dangerous combo.

I see that it’s only 3.5 gallons but I think you will still need more hops to produce a neipa.

Yeah just be careful. An ipa with hop bite which a lot of the neipas can have along with ginger is a dangerous combo.

I see that it’s only 3.5 gallons but I think you will still need more hops to produce a neipa.
yeah want to start with smaller volume to test with. Also trying to keep the IBU from being too high till i can work out a good amount for the ginger.

I used 2oz of fresh ground root late in the boil in a 10 gallon batch, it was definitely there, and I was glad I didn't use more.

Mind you there was cinnamon too...

I used 2oz of fresh ground root late in the boil in a 10 gallon batch, it was definitely there, and I was glad I didn't use more.
yeah looking at your volume and mine i think im pretty close to you. except you have more malts overall.

yeah looking at your volume and mine i think im pretty close to you. except you have more malts overall.
Which is a factor...

Usually not a fan of standard IPA due to bitterness blocking flavor.
So going to try my hand at a ginger neipa. I saw a few ginger pale ales and from that came up with this.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1010025/hazy-ginger-neipa

what do you think of the amount of ginger? Don't necessarily want the bite from ginger just the taste.
Is the Centennial at 60 ok, or should i use Magnum? I like the clean short lived bitterness of magnum in regular ales.
Any other suggestions?
This would be easy to overdo.... I'd keep the bitterness high and let the ginger speak for the flavor and aroma. But your approach may work, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Ok still working on this recipe, made some updates.
Anyone have any suggestions on the yeast? Not sure if I should shoot for lower fg or not. Think the higher sweetness might help with the Ginger bite?

Back