around the world recipe

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've got another thought experiment for everyone. Try to build a recipe using ingedients from all over the world, no two can be from the same country.
I know some malts are practically the same wherever they're from, so we may have to stick to ones that are distinctly british, german, american, etc. (2row, maris otter, etc.).
I think I'd go for maris otter, some nz or south african hops, and a cali yeast. Probably a pretty safe recipe, but it's got a global flair to it.
Also, are there any ingredients that are distinct to asia or south america?

Some possibilities for Asia/South Pacific:
Taro root, Plantains/Bananas, Exotic fruits, sweet potatoes, Most of our spices are of Asian origin. Barley and wheat both originated in central Asia.
South America: Not so sure - is Jicama South American? Quinoa is, as are (originally) potatoes and amaranth. Nopales would be a possibility from Central America. Corn (Maize) is originally Central American, as are tomatoes. Wild rice might make an interesting North American addition, as well as spruce tips. The possibilities are unfortunately endless.

well then. looks like i've got some research to do

Scottish - Golden Promise
Belgian - Biscuit Malt
Canadian - Honey Malt
English - Fuggles
German - Magnum
U.S. - San Diego Super Yeast

Can't say I would recommend it, but I have tried brewing a beer with lime leaves before. I would think other ingredients such as coriander, lemon grass and rice would count as being rather asian in origin.
New Zealand has plenty of hops and a few malts to choose from, but something not many outside of NZ are aware of (or capable of sourcing...) are Manuka and Rimu leaves. i.e. for a "spruce beer", e.g. here from Wigram: http://www.wigrambrewing.co.nz/Our-Beer/

Back