Arizona Wort Chilling

Iccenine

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I live in the valley of Arizona. Despite the fact that it is beautiful here now the ground water still runs at about 80 degrees. Which basically means I can't get my wort below 80 without throwing it in the fridge for an hour. Any suggestions?. I am using a brewzilla and an immersion chiller. Thanks

So I live in the valley of Arizona. Despite the fact that it is beautiful here now the ground water still runs at about 80 degrees. Which basically means I can't get my wort below 80 without throwing it in the fridge for an hour. Any suggestions?. I am using a brewzilla and an immersion chiller. Thanks
I no chill most brew sessions in the kettle than rack into fermentor and chill from there if need be to ferm temp.

But if you want to go to the trouble you could use pre chiller before your Imersion chiller.

A pre chiller is another imersion coil or plate chiller in a bucket of ice water

You use the pre chiller once your wort is pretty cool therefore not melting the Ice before you need it.

Yup wouldn't worry about it. An extra hour won't hurt anything.. i usually get mine to 120°F and put it in the fermentor, let the glycol chiller do its thing, takes a couple hours.

Here in sunny Southern California, I use an ice bath to chill my wort. My last 2 brews I have chilled into the low to mid 60’s F in +/- an hour. I chill a couple gallons of water in the freezer, then use several frozen bottles. This is just the less sexy alternative.

What @Trialben wrote. With another coil of metal tubing you should have no trouble getting your chilling water down into the 60s. Think something like a 5 gallon bucket frozen solid with a coil already in it. That might not be practical but something like it could be.

What @Trialben wrote. With another coil of metal tubing you should have no trouble getting your chilling water down into the 60s. Think something like a 5 gallon bucket frozen solid with a coil already in it. That might not be practical but something like it could be.
I like the frozen coil in a bucket.

Yup, like the above. Chill down below about 100 degrees then switch the hose to a fountain pump in a bucket of ice and water. Usually all it takes is the ice maker tray of ice. The ice tray eeds to be cleaned out anyway...

I havent done that many batches, but cool with immersion chiller and when the temperature doesn't decrease much anymore, I put all in the fermentor and put in the fermentation fridge till I think it is roughly the required temperature.
Well, that was when I had electricity. Now it's probably kveik to the rescue!

I'm in Australia, with immersion and ice bath, I can have it down to pitching in like 20 mins

Other thing you can do is start using a lot of Kwiek yeasts, that way you can pitch at like 35 C, whatever that is in F

Back