Arbitrary questions

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of things I've been thinking about.
I wasn't sure if this should be in the beginners thread or the chit & chat, but since it doesn't involve actual brewing, it's here ;)

Beer and sauerkraut:
Obviously they go well together, but would they go well together in my fermentation fridge?
In summertime, It's the coolest place I have, except for the fridge and freezer, so I was thinking that maybe I could put my small batches of sauerkraut in with the fermenter. I use a glass jar, with proper fitting lid and waterlock for the sauerkraut.

And another similar question is, could I use my bottling bucket to make sauerkraut, or is there a chance that the smell lingers in the plastic?

And sourdough.....
This is an open bowl (well more or less), so I assume it is better not to put it in with the beer?

I really haven't a clue about doing both in the fermentation fridge, but I would be very concerned about a Lacto fermentation in my bottling bucket.

Just a couple of things I've been thinking about.
I wasn't sure if this should be in the beginners thread or the chit & chat, but since it doesn't involve actual brewing, it's here ;)

Beer and sauerkraut:
Obviously they go well together, but would they go well together in my fermentation fridge?
In summertime, It's the coolest place I have, except for the fridge and freezer, so I was thinking that maybe I could put my small batches of sauerkraut in with the fermenter. I use a glass jar, with proper fitting lid and waterlock for the sauerkraut.

And another similar question is, could I use my bottling bucket to make sauerkraut, or is there a chance that the smell lingers in the plastic?

And sourdough.....
This is an open bowl (well more or less), so I assume it is better not to put it in with the beer?
The bacteria can neither crawl nor fly... I wouldn't risk it but if you keep both isolated and maintain good sanitation, it would work.

Thanks....
Think I'll give the idea of sauerkraut in my bottling bucket a miss.
The small one, we'll see
Maybe I need to get another controller and set up a second fermentation fridge....

Back