Aquarium pump airation.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey brewers i need your help on this one. I jist used an aquarium Pump to airate my lager last night but im not sure it was really pumping out enough o2 so i diverted back to mu old airation technique of shaking the bejesus out of the fermentor ballanced on the edge of milk crate.

Aquarium pump runs at 6lt/min sorry imperials ive got a hepa filter inline (i see in and out on these to so have in on pump side out on stone side). And my stone is .2 micron.

I see youtube videos of foam piling out the top of carboys mine hardly made anyfoam after 15 mins in wort. Also i hear stone can get blocked.

What are the brewers best practices when using these aquarium pumps for airating wort?

I included a pic of it running in a jug of water for an idea of o2 output.

Cheers...
20170819_072247.jpg

Actually it's my understanding that push o2 into beer to hard and fast doesn't do your work any justice, you just want an easy push so the beer has time to absorb the o2 instead of making a messy overflow of bubbles, that's a waste of great beer.

The same goes for aerating wort going into the fermentor the optimal volume of aerating wort should be 8 to 12 ppm/litre, too much aeration can shock the yeast and hurt your fermentation. They may go on strike.

Just my musings on yeast, and wort aeration.

Generally I have between a 1 to 2" head of foam on top of a 5 gallon batch of wort, I use an in line aerator.

Thought you might find this portion of kunze interesting.

Attachments

• 20170818_193219_resized.jpg
    20170818_193219_resized.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 145
Mmmm so maybe it was working just fine and i was being impatient. Well fermentation hadnt kicked off this morning not that it should. Will see how fermentation goes.

Back