App problems

Brewer #69759

Trial Member
Reaction score
The Brewers Friend app is malfunctioning, it won't adjust the brewhouse efficiency when you change the percentage rate. I'm very surprised as I have used this app for several years now, however I have started a commercial brewery and rely on it heavily, but I've botched my mash efficiency on two different brews now. Please correct the problem with the app, please

Maybe I'm not understanding your issue, but your post has me scratching my head. The actual efficiency that you experience has nothing to do with the efficiency that you state in your recipe. It's calculated using your grain bill and wort volume. In other words, it is what it is. It's a measure of how much sugars made it to your wort. You want to write your recipes for the efficiency you experience, but your actual efficiency has not relations to your stated efficiency.

If you adjust only your efficiency, you'll see your OG change up or down depending on whether you adjust your efficiency up or down.

I understand his problem: It resulted in a severe undershoot of efficiency for me a while back. I changed my efficiency in the profile but the recipes tied to the profile before the change did not update. So, using the old efficiency (higher), the recipe editor suggested less grain than I needed for the recipe. After the under-shoot, I changed the efficiency setting in the recipe (not in the profile!) and the results changed.

That's a questionable one: What behavior is best. I think we should have a default that is applied whenever we create a recipe, then we can change the values in the recipe as we learn from brewing, which seems to be the way things are set up.

Gotcha. I set up my profile when I did my first recipe. I don't think I ever revisited it. I have changed efficiency on some recipes on a per recipe basis. The way I use the software, I only use the recipe itself to change things, including the efficiency variable under the General tab.

Back