APA Fermentation issue Safale US-05

I was reading up on this style today whilst I was bludging waiting for a job to start:p . Sounds like a very interesting beer this saison sounds like the sour dough of the beer brewing world sort ofo_O a particular yeast that was rep itched over hundreds of years therefore developing them unique characteristics of the spicey saison style. According to the article I was reading in how to brew farmers would brew a big batch of this up for their workers before the harvest period began on the farm. A thirst quenching durable beer that would keep through the harvest period. Some yeasts as per recommended by brew your own below. I can't wait to get my hands on some of,this and churn out one of these tasty brews. And Mark it seems high time for us fellas in the Southern Hemisphere right now;).

White Labs WLP565 (Belgian Saison) strain and the seasonally- available Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) strain provide similar results. White Labs WLP550 (Belgian Ale) and Wyeast 3522 (Belgian Ardennes) strains are acceptable substitutes, but lack some of the earthy character and acidity.

Except with saison yeast I presume?o_O Haven't used it though
Same thing holds; however, most don't want clean flavor using a Saison yeast. So they ferment warm. Generally in the States, too warm so the beer goes from drinkable with some hints of distinctiveness, as it is in Belgium, to some strange kind of phenolic soup.

Same thing holds; however, most don't want clean flavor using a Saison yeast. So they ferment warm. Generally in the States, too warm so the beer goes from drinkable with some hints of distinctiveness, as it is in Belgium, to some strange kind of phenolic soup.

I like to start it at 60-65F and after a few days it starts to slow down, roust it well and raise temp to 75F til finished.

Back