Anyone recognize what this could be?

Smitty27

Trial Member
Reaction score
It looks like the beer is separating. It doesn't have a bacteria film on top but it does have "legs" on the bottom of the white top layer. Its has been cold crashing for about 10 days now in secondary. I just moved it do secondary yesterday, took a sample and it tasted fine. When I was transferring from primary to secondary I seen the same kind of oily legs creeping down the side of the primary fermenter.

10009289_825821770767926_660274552_n.jpg

1688873_825821754101261_2058104485_n.jpg

I think I know what it is. I went back out for another look and noticed a bubble that looked like soap. Then I remember when I transferred to secondary there were a lot of starsan bubbles that entirely filled the head space. Since everything was cold it just rested on top of the beer. I'm warming it up a bit and will swirl it into solution. Hopefully that's what it is.

Looks Like Beer!
I don't like the light on it, but other than that ..........
Pretty light, what kind?
Brian

I've had that happen before after cold crashing, its proteins that cause chill haze, they just are floating to the top, they will go away once the beer warms up a bit

I doubt it's anything settling out - yeast forms an overall cloudiness but not that kind of change in color. You are probably right with your star san bubbles idea - water is lighter than beer and will float, at least until it's diffused into the beer. The Star San bubbles have some water and could cause this.

The Brew Mentor said:
Looks Like Beer!
I don't like the light on it, but other than that ..........
Pretty light, what kind?
Brian

Its the light in my fridge. :D

I warmed it up a bit and gave it a slight swirl. It started blending in with the beer. I've put it back in the fridge and we'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks. I'm not too worried about it. Everything smelled good and tasted fine. Thanks for the input!

Off-topic and into photography: The white walls of a refrigerator make a great light box!

Back