Anyone made a spunding valve?

Yeah.... I never considered a secondary use (pressure transfer), as that would definitely raise the cost per 12 oz glass by at least double as you’re effectively pushing 5 gallons twice... once for transfer to keg and once again for pushing out the keg.

Yeah.... I never considered a secondary use (pressure transfer), as that would definitely raise the cost per 12 oz glass by at least double as you’re effectively pushing 5 gallons twice... once for transfer to keg and once again for pushing out the keg.
Big convenience for me also having gas outside of the keezer.

Big convenience for me also having gas outside of the keezer.
It is a pain taking the CO2 tank and all its connections out of the keezer to set it on the floor when I’m Kegging.

I like the idea of capturing lost co2, but I can see some limitations when it’s done on a home brew scale.

First would be impurities, there are many components and aromas that come out solution during fermentation. Sulfur components are fairly common, especially in lagers, not something I would want to transfer to another beer. Hop aromas are the second one I may not want to have in another beer. Some breweries do capture co2, but they have very expensive equipment that purifies it and puts it in a liquid form.

That leads to the second thing. It’s really nice to have it in a liquid form. Very compact and able to produce +500 psi. Small containers and it last a really long time.

I dunno, I like the idea, but I spend $60 or so a year on co2. It’s probably one of the smallest part of my brewing budget. But if it works for you, my hats off to you.

I've been using fermentation co2 to purge recieving keg since using preassure fermentor and I dunno but my last two light lagers have had a good bit of sulphur early on in brew that didn't clear for a couple of weeks.
It's either the S23 yeast new to me.
Or the sulphur compounds produced whilst fermentation under pressure is underway somehow get reabsorbed back into the beer.
Or the off gassing that purges the recieving keg are full of sulphur.

I think it's the closed fermentation myself but has got me thinking about it.

I had a transfer go badly (dry hop got loose) so I ended up opening the purged keg and using a syphon and there was definitely a whiff of sulphur when I opened it. Still purging the kegs with the fermentation gas and haven't noticed it in the finished product.

I haven't read or seen any evidence personally about using the purged 02 off of frementation. I have however seen a few writings out there as to when you should be letting the gas free purge and when you should or when the best time is to start the fermenting under pressure. I think most of frementation should be complete or nearing the end for best results if not mistaken.
I have no evidence, but I would guess yeast selection playes a roll. I know the last two lagers I've done using kveik have been super clean.

Last edited:
I've been using fermentation co2 to purge recieving keg since using preassure fermentor and I dunno but my last two light lagers have had a good bit of sulphur early on in brew that didn't clear for a couple of weeks.
It's either the S23 yeast new to me.
Or the sulphur compounds produced whilst fermentation under pressure is underway somehow get reabsorbed back into the beer.
Or the off gassing that purges the recieving keg are full of sulphur.

I think it's the closed fermentation myself but has got me thinking about it.
I ferment under pressure with a spunding valve at 1/2 atmosphere. Toward the end of fermentation I raise the temp for a diacytel rest and remove the spunding to vent the the sulphur. I still force carb, so no free co2, but sulfur is in check.

Back