Anyone found a way to calibrate ElectroHydrometers when fermenting under pressure?

LukasT

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I like the idea of the electronic hydrometers but I know fermenting under pressure messes with their reading.

Has anyone figured out a way to calibrate them or a formula to compensate?

Cheers,

Lukas

Do you have a specific model?

The plaato pro use ultrasonic to measure, so pressure shouldn't be an issue.
The tilt is not effected either

Hi,

I like the idea of the electronic hydrometers but I know fermenting under pressure messes with their reading.

Has anyone figured out a way to calibrate them or a formula to compensate?

Cheers,

Lukas
I use a Tilt not to know the actual gravity, but when the gravity stops changing. So, I don't really care what the Tilt reads. My hydrometer is more accurate.

Do you have a specific model?

The plaato pro use ultrasonic to measure, so pressure shouldn't be an issue.
The tilt is not effected either

Thanks for the reply,

I haven't bought one yet, still doing research. I've heard mixed reports on the tilt when used with pressure. I'll check out the plaato though!

I use a Tilt not to know the actual gravity, but when the gravity stops changing. So, I don't really care what the Tilt reads. My hydrometer is more accurate.

Thanks for replying,

Is that when fermenting under pressure or just generally not that accurate?

Thanks,

Thanks for the reply,

I haven't bought one yet, still doing research. I've heard mixed reports on the tilt when used with pressure. I'll check out the plaato though!
Nothing for the pressure to effect. It measures by it's angle in the fermentor.
As far as accuracy, they are reasonably accurate, but mostly will give you the trend you need to know fermentation is done

What they said, the issue I've seen more frequently with these is signal/connectivity issues in a sealable pressurized vessel.

Thanks for replying,

Is that when fermenting under pressure or just generally not that accurate?

Thanks,
I do not ferment under pressure. For me, in general, it is not nearly as accurate at the end of fermentation as at other times. I am fairly sure that some of the krausen crud that gets onto it affects its measurement.

What they said, the issue I've seen more frequently with these is signal/connectivity issues in a sealable pressurized vessel.
With the tilt, at least, that is greatly dependant on where you put the phone/server used to relay it
I have stainless fermenters and even 15 ft away it works fine. (I use an Rpi w zero)

Same. I have a stainless fermenter and it sits in a stainless fridge, yet my pi zero W gets the signal from a foot or two away and relays it to my wifi. I guess the radio leaks around the seals is sufficient.

Back