Any Wine Makers Here?

I decided to go for a premium wine on my next batch as the wife is getting stale on the everyday stuff. I was surprised that Label Peelers has by far the best prices. Thanks for the tip.
I've got the Stags leap merlot ready to go, but I think I'm going to order another faster turn around wine and get it going 1st.
https://labelpeelers.com/wine-makin...erve-napa-valley-stags-leap-merlot-wine-kits/

Think I'll do this one before the Merlot.
https://labelpeelers.com/wine-making/wine-kits/reserve/reserve-luna-bianca-wine-kit/

Mixed up a 4-week wine kit on March 21, 18 days ago. Fermentation went as expected, and I transferred to secondary 5 days ago, added my clarifying agents and let it sit.

Now the wine is crystal clear. I have a Spike conical fermenter, with a 4" clear tri-clamp lid and I can actually see the bottom of the fermenter perfectly. Amazing!

So my question is: what purpose does letting the wine sit another 10 days serve? Is it like a diacetyl rest for beer, or do the kit folks just expect that it'll take 14 days for the wine to clarify, or something else??

Mixed up a 4-week wine kit on March 21, 18 days ago. Fermentation went as expected, and I transferred to secondary 5 days ago, added my clarifying agents and let it sit.

Now the wine is crystal clear. I have a Spike conical fermenter, with a 4" clear tri-clamp lid and I can actually see the bottom of the fermenter perfectly. Amazing!

So my question is: what purpose does letting the wine sit another 10 days serve? Is it like a diacetyl rest for beer, or do the kit folks just expect that it'll take 14 days for the wine to clarify, or something else??

You can ensure that no new lees will fall out- sometimes a wine that seems perfectly clear will still drop a few lees after racking. You don’t have to let it sit if you don’t want to- but a little age is always good for a wine, even a 4-week kit.

You can ensure that no new lees will fall out- sometimes a wine that seems perfectly clear will still drop a few lees after racking. You don’t have to let it sit if you don’t want to- but a little age is always good for a wine, even a 4-week kit.
We rack to a bottling bucket and use Sparkoloid, then let the wine sit for a few days prior to bottling. Results in perfectly bright wines, even whites.

I did an En Primeur Amarone last Nov. havent tried it but should be good to go now.

Last edited:
I have a Cabernet Sauvignon vine, a. Pinot noir vine and a Zinfandel vine in the yard, and all are hanging quite a bit of fruit, though still green. If I can keep the birds away, then I should be able to make some wine this summer.

I have a Cabernet Sauvignon vine, a. Pinot noir vine and a Zinfandel vine in the yard, and all are hanging quite a bit of fruit, though still green. If I can keep the birds away, then I should be able to make some wine this summer.
Very cool man.
My Dad bought be two grape vines a few years back hopeing I'd do the same.
Their both back in the earth now:oops:
I did put a bit of effort in I run stringers and everything their for the passionfruit now:rolleyes:.

Very cool man.
My Dad bought be two grape vines a few years back hopeing I'd do the same.
Their both back in the earth now:oops:
I did put a bit of effort in I run stringers and everything their for the passionfruit now:rolleyes:.
From the looks of your surroundings, you are definitely not in the heart of Australia’s wine growing region. But it’s OK, you grow plenty other than wine grapes, it seems.

From the looks of your surroundings, you are definitely not in the heart of Australia’s wine growing region. But it’s OK, you grow plenty other than wine grapes, it seems.
Funny you say that my man the sunshine coast is a bit of a freeky place up in the hills behind me in the blackhall range there be grapes growing and just 15mins from me is "the big barrel" a big half wine barrel looking building.
It's part of Clouds retreat check it
https://cloudsretreats.com.au/
I live in a pretty speky region don't like to boast ;);)

Back