Any car people on here?

Timo_Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any people here that are what I would call "car people" or "enthusiasts"? This could be anything from historic collectors, modern racers, hyper milling EV'ers, and exotic drivers to things like modern regular road cars that are cool in the eyes of the owner. Bikes are of course welcome.

Last edited:
Well, I was a car engineer for 35 years. I like cars (beats walking) but for me, now, they are just tools for getting around. A lifetime in the business can dampen one's enthusiasm...

I like cars, this is my 31 Ford.
20230825_162552.jpg

Just looking /thinking, going back memory lane
Suzuki alto
Hillman hunter
Peugeot 309
Datsun sunny
Mitsubishi L200
Mazda B2200
Peugeot 405
Toyota hilux 2.8 d (loved that one,)
Misubishi panin

And somewhere in between
Honda CB400F
Suzuki GSX 550
Honda 400 cc
Honda F750

Just found out that my car of the last 10 years needs to be put out to pasture and replaced :rolleyes: so now I'm shopping for cars. A new car gets me a better interest rate on the loan, but a much higher yearly property tax. I'd like it to last at least 6 years, so something below 50,000 miles would be preferred. Right now the front runners are post 2019 Toyota Rav4, Mitsubishi Outlander, or Mazda CX-30. I'm open to any input from the car folks :)

Deb had good luck with the RAV4 she owned.

It is now STEVES66
Subtle looking differences, but he had a hot rod guy finish what I started.
Went from a 283, 3 speed manual, manual steering, manual four corner drum brakes
To a crate 350, 5 speed manual from a Camaro, power brakes, power steering, and anti sway bars (also lowered).
I did 90% of the mechanical work on it, engine, transmission, suspension, power, lowering.
Hot rod guy finished it all up
1713892512140.png

1713892550017.png

Just found out that my car of the last 10 years needs to be put out to pasture and replaced :rolleyes: so now I'm shopping for cars. A new car gets me a better interest rate on the loan, but a much higher yearly property tax. I'd like it to last at least 6 years, so something below 50,000 miles would be preferred. Right now the front runners are post 2019 Toyota Rav4, Mitsubishi Outlander, or Mazda CX-30. I'm open to any input from the car folks :)
You will find the Toyota bulletproof. And if it ever needs repair, costs are reasonable. Mitsu, Mazda, not as much.

You will find the Toyota bulletproof. And if it ever needs repair, costs are reasonable. Mitsu, Mazda, not as much.
Thanks, Don. That's in line with what I've been reading. My mechanic told me stick to Toyota or Honda unless it's a truck. Those newer Ford Mavericks look pretty cool :D (2022 models that still had a 2.5L 4 cyl engine. The new turbocharged 3 cylinder engines are just ridiculous)

Most toyota's are pretty much indestructible.
Just check models and consumption. The rav 4's driving around here are mainly permanent 4x4. They are diesel or petrol, automatic or shift gear.
I went mitsubishi because it was available at a price I could afford and has real 4x4. Unfortunately automatic as I prefer shift gears

Thanks, Don. That's in line with what I've been reading. My mechanic told me stick to Toyota or Honda unless it's a truck. Those newer Ford Mavericks look pretty cool :D (2022 models that still had a 2.5L 4 cyl engine. The new turbocharged 3 cylinder engines are just ridiculous)
...or I can get you a deal on a '96 Pontiac Sunfire...;-)

I used to own two MGs - a 1974 MGB Roadster and a 1972 MGBGT. I rebuilt the engines in both cars and installed a supercharger in the GT! Had to sell them both when we moved and downsized on garage space! Still an avid F1 fan and went to all but one of the F1 races at Indy. Would love to go to the F1 race at COTA but ticket prices have gone silly!

If you are into vintage racing - try the vintage GP weekend at Watkins Glen - on Friday afternoon the drive the cars around the old street circuit! It's a blast!

Back