Anvil Foundry 10.5 gal water amounts

TJM

Trial Member
Reaction score
Howdy everyone, I'm on my 5th batch with my Anvil Foundry and I seem to be about a gallon short every time. I follow Anvils guidelines for water amounts, I do the sparge method which adds a gallon at the end of the mash. Any ideas?
Thanks

I use the Anvil also. I added a sight glass outside to monitor levels. I start the mash with 5.5 gal , when done mashing , lift the basket (using a pulley thing) , sparge until I hit 6.75 gal. And go on with boil at about 98% heat setting. I use 220V.

When you have less wort is the gravity still right or it is higher than expected?

What he ^^^ said. Also, you can Sparge with another gallon if you need to, just to bring up the volume.

I had been having the same trouble, but I was also ignoring the water calculator in the BrewersFriend recipe system. Once I started paying attention I was able to get my 5.5 gallons into the fermenter

When I sparge, I just keep adding about a quart or so at a time until I hit the 6.75 gallon mark and pull the basket up and drop it into a bucket even if it is still running a bit.

I use the Anvil also. I added a sight glass outside to monitor levels. I start the mash with 5.5 gal , when done mashing , lift the basket (using a pulley thing) , sparge until I hit 6.75 gal. And go on with boil at about 98% heat setting. I use 220V.

I just purchased my Anvil 10.5, the newer model with the slotted bottom and the perforated, snap in top plate. I'd line to know how you put in the sight glass, especially through the double wall and prevent leaks. Thanks

any weldless fitting will work, you don't tighten to the outer wall just the inner so 2 holes are drilled depending on what you make or buy, 1 on the inside and one on the out, the outside is probably going to be bigger

this will work as well as a store bought Pyrex site glass

20211229_102610.jpg

Just like the above fitting using two holes one big enough for the fitting washer . I think I got the glass on Amazon. Mine doesn't have a top port into the vessel just vented above the liquid level and attached with a bracket using two SHORT screws into the outer wall

upload_2021-12-31_15-32-27.png

You can see my marks on the side, the glass starts at 3 gallons

@Ozarks Mountain Brew , I might have led you astray. I was filling my Anvil for a brew and happened to look in the hole where I attached the sight glass and do not see any insulation in there. I must have been thinking of another project somewhere along the line that had the thin sheet insulation. I see none in there. Hmmmm maybe a can of spray foam?

@Ozarks Mountain Brew , I might have led you astray. I was filling my Anvil for a brew and happened to look in the hole where I attached the sight glass and do not see any insulation in there. I must have been thinking of another project somewhere along the line that had the thin sheet insulation. I see none in there. Hmmmm maybe a can of spray foam?
Good point I think the air barrier is the insulation it's self and if you have an opening does that change anything, I think foam may melt at the boil but something might work

Now I am curious, I may have to test out spray foam for temp resistance. It would be easy to foam up the pot with just a fey holes in the side.

@west1m Been wanting to add a sight glass, how did you do it???

The sight glass I used came from Amazon, only has a bottom tap. Maybe a bit short if you plan small batches. Starts reading at 3 gallons.
But, I just used two hole saws ( lots of cutting oil) first hole to outside large enough to get the fitting into the inner wall. Second hole was to the inner wall the right size for the threaded fitting.
At the top I just made a small bracket to hold the glass in place and secured it in place with two real short sheet metal screws.

Back