Anti oxidant for Neipa

BeerWolf

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have had problems with oxidation in my bottle fermented Neipas. Heard that I could use antioxidants. Unceratin how and when in the process this works best. Happy if anyone has the experience.

Hi all,
I have had problems with oxidation in my bottle fermented Neipas. Heard that I could use antioxidants. Unceratin how and when in the process this works best. Happy if anyone has the experience.
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) unsure on quantity added to boil.
SMB or Potassium Metabisulphate I'd add under .5g at packaging diluted into a little bit of water or added if using to geletin finnings.

Trying A closed transfers will help as above.
Check out this site for Lodo brewing techniques
https://www.themodernbrewhouse.com/

NEIPA is definitely a tricky one to bottle effectively.
Do you have Co2?
Do you have a keg?
When I do bottle I have a setup where I batch prime in a Co2 purged keg, then bottle from there.
I typically only bottle higher ABV darker brews that will be aging for a while, so I don't bother purging the bottles, but if I were to bottle a NEIPA, I would definitely do this.
I don't disagree with the LODO theories, but I do feel that exposure to O2 in a bottling bucket and bottles is definitely a potential cause of oxidization in this style of beer..

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) unsure on quantity added to boil.
SMB or Potassium Metabisulphate I'd add under .5g at packaging diluted into a little bit of water or added if using to geletin finnings.

Trying A closed transfers will help as above.
Check out this site for Lodo brewing techniques
https://www.themodernbrewhouse.com/
Thanks, good advice. I will definately try vitamin C.

Do you have Co2?
Do you have a keg?
When I do bottle I have a setup where I batch prime in a Co2 purged keg, then bottle from there.
I typically only bottle higher ABV darker brews that will be aging for a while, so I don't bother purging the bottles, but if I were to bottle a NEIPA, I would definitely do this.
I don't disagree with the LODO theories, but I do feel that exposure to O2 in a bottling bucket and bottles is definitely a potential cause of oxidization in this style of beer..
Yes, great, thanks, I have co2 (from my soda streem). Will add it to the keg before botteling.

Do you have Co2?
Do you have a keg?
I don't disagree with the LODO theories, but I do feel that exposure to O2 in a bottling bucket and bottles is definitely a potential cause of oxidization in this style of beer..[/QUOTE
Yes, thanks, I have co2 (from the sodastreamer). Will use it as you say.

How many brews in are you on the hobby beerwolf?

A NEIPA is a bold move for a newly conditioned Hombrewer. I commend your efforts none the less;).
What can I say you came to the right place :)
I have done some 30 brews, and three Neipas. It seems by far the most technically challenging and sensitive brew.. I am going for minimizing all unnecessary mistakes, while using quite basic technique. I will probably need to skip the bottling though (and use a keg).

I have done some 30 brews, and three Neipas. It seems by far the most technically challenging and sensitive brew.. I am going for minimizing all unnecessary mistakes, while using quite basic technique. I will probably need to skip the bottling though (and use a keg).
I have brewed many NEIPA's. I have never attempted to bottle one, and probably won't. Many do though, and I have heard that the bottle conditioning can enhance the style. If you mitigate O2 contact, you should be able to pull it off.

I have brewed many NEIPA's. I have never attempted to bottle one, and probably won't. Many do though, and I have heard that the bottle conditioning can enhance the style. If you mitigate O2 contact, you should be able to pull it off.
Thanks. I was actually thinking about dividing one brew 50/50 into bottelling and a keg. Just need to get the bottling technique in order.

Try to fill the bottles rapidly whereby to generate an overflowing head of foam, and then cap them directly over the foam. The foam bubbles should be gassed via dissolved CO2 released from within the partially carbonated beer (which is what most would incorrectly presume at this juncture to be uncarbonated). This generally requires two people.

The guys at Genus Brewing use 3-5g of ascorbic acid in the mash. Sometimes more at packaging. They did a test of 2 NEIPAs, one with one without. Filled a glass of each and set them in the bar. 1 oxidized and had a greyish hue in about 30 minutes I believe while the other looked and tasted perfect after a day. They swear by it. I use it in my mash as a “why not” factor. The Genus boys also say that a lot of the local craft brewers in their area (Washington/ Oregon) use it in the mash as well. Might be worth a shot. I do it but I keg and never had a problem. In fact I’m trying to figure out how to oxidize a big funky Brett ferment more quickly. Last one I did took 10 years in a corked bottle before it was absolutely fabulous! Lol.

The guys at Genus Brewing use 3-5g of ascorbic acid in the mash. Sometimes more at packaging. They did a test of 2 NEIPAs, one with one without. Filled a glass of each and set them in the bar. 1 oxidized and had a greyish hue in about 30 minutes I believe while the other looked and tasted perfect after a day. They swear by it. I use it in my mash as a “why not” factor. The Genus boys also say that a lot of the local craft brewers in their area (Washington/ Oregon) use it in the mash as well. Might be worth a shot. I do it but I keg and never had a problem. In fact I’m trying to figure out how to oxidize a big funky Brett ferment more quickly. Last one I did took 10 years in a corked bottle before it was absolutely fabulous! Lol.

Interesting that they add Ascorbic Acid to the mash. I've only considered adding it at kegging/bottling time.

That said, if I've calculated it correctly, its (relative specifically to a target of pH 5.5) acid strength is ~5.46 mEq/gram. This information is useful in predicting its downward impact upon mash pH.

Relative to pH 5.40 it is ~5.41 mEq/gram.

I have another perculiar observation. My last Neipa looked fine for six months! in the garage, but changed over two weeks when the temperature rose from 10 to 18 degrees celcius (along with the spring/summer). It all turned more brown. Was surprised by this effect after six months.

I have another perculiar observation. My last Neipa looked fine for six months! in the garage, but changed over two weeks when the temperature rose from 10 to 18 degrees celcius (along with the spring/summer). It all turned more brown. Was surprised by this effect after six months.
Can I assume that these are bottles that you were storing warm?
If so, IMHO that NEIPA should be enjoyed fresh. I would say that if you are going to store them for an extended period of time, you should keep them refrigerated. Alternatively if you have more than you can enjoy in a short period of time, I would suggest donating them to friends and family so they don't go to waste.

Can I assume that these are bottles that you were storing warm?
If so, IMHO that NEIPA should be enjoyed fresh. I would say that if you are going to store them for an extended period of time, you should keep them refrigerated. Alternatively if you have more than you can enjoy in a short period of time, I would suggest donating them to friends and family so they don't go to waste.
Yes, this was a few left over bottles, just don't know what happened besides the temperature going up (and yes they had peaked a few monthes earlier). The storing prior to this had been between 6-10 degrees. I heard that storing ales and lagers could/should be done in different temperatures (ales on the warmer side).

Yes, this was a few left over bottles, just don't know what happened besides the temperature going up (and yes they had peaked a few monthes earlier). The storing prior to this had been between 6-10 degrees. I heard that storing ales and lagers could/should be done in different temperatures (ales on the warmer side).
For aging darker stronger ales a cooler area, say in your basement if you have one is best, and be sure to keep it in the dark, light is the enemy of beer, especially lighter colored beers.
Lagers, well, Lagering literally means to condition cold for a period of time.
For brews that are hop forward (be it bitterness, flavor, and or aroma), no matter what yeast they are fermented with, storing and aging will yield negative results.
Hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness will fade over time.
Case in point, I have a Black IPA on tap at the moment. A buddy came over and brought the same beer that I had bottled about a year ago. So we did a side by side taste test. I told him, you will be surprised at how much better the new brew will be.
I was not surprised at all that the bitterness, aroma, and flavor were nearly non existent on the year old brew.
My buddy gave me the "holy shit" look, what a difference he said.
I told him, "unless I tell you to age a beer in future, get it in you before it fades!"
It was still a good beer as it had been in his fridge all that time, and it was dark, but it tasted a bit more like a stout/porter mix.

Back