(ANSWERED) Extract to All Grain Converter?

kblankenship11

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have a couple extract recipes that I really love. For people that start as extract ant move to all-grain, i think it would be awesome for us to have a "Convert to All-Grain" option for the recipe. I have been able to find various conversions for standard extract (pils, amber, DME light) and I do the calculations myself to get my grain bill. It would be nice if I didn't have to do all the math myself and just click a button! :)

Re: Extract to All Grain Converter?

There is no automatic conversion between extract and all grain recipes at Brewer's Friend. Converting between recipe types is something that requires human judgement, especially in terms of balancing the flavors. I wouldn't trust a computer to do that for me (and I'm a tech guy).

Both recipes should have similar OG/SRM/IBU. To achieve that, first an extract batch generally has a higher boil gravity, and this means slightly more bittering hops are called for. Second, the steeping grains should reflect the all grain recipe in order to hit the desired SRM and flavor profile. Third, the base grain (2-row let's say) in an all grain batch should have the same sugar contribution as the malt extract being used in the extract batch. The yeast can be left alone.

Back