(ANSWERED) Couple Ideas

HafMpty

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just added my first recipe (Old Rasputin RIS). The recipe calls for 2lbs of sugar. Technically this is a "fermentable" but it is not added to the mash but rather the boil. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but it would be nice to specify to add it to the boil so the weight is not factored into the amount of mash water I need.

Also, automatic water salt additions would be nice. Choose a target profile and click "calculate" and like Bru'n Water, zip zop zippety bob...here's what to add.

On a related note, some people (like me) separate out the salt additions for mash additions and boil additions. It would be great to have the ability to divide the additions.

It would be nice to be able to add custom brew steps (like add sugar at 10 minutes from the end of the boil) as well as other items.

Finally, how about a "How To" video walking us through the various components of the Brewer's Friend Recipe Builder. I already subscribe to your YouTube page and so seeing something pop up that walks a nOOb through every step from recipe creation to packaging and the final log entry would be good. Show us how YOU use the software during brew day. It might help others use it more effectively and efficiently if we see how the creator has designed it to be used.

I am anxiously awaiting the mobile app. Thanks for your hard work.

(Answered) Re: Couple Ideas

Couple ideas eh? I count like 5 here... :lol:

HafMpty said:
I just added my first recipe (Old Rasputin RIS). The recipe calls for 2lbs of sugar. Technically this is a "fermentable" but it is not added to the mash but rather the boil. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but it would be nice to specify to add it to the boil so the weight is not factored into the amount of mash water I need.

The system will correctly identify the sugar as non-mashable. It will not count towards how much mash water you need.

HafMpty said:
Also, automatic water salt additions would be nice. Choose a target profile and click "calculate" and like Bru'n Water, zip zop zippety bob...here's what to add.

Yep, there is a TODO item for automatically calculating salt additions. It turns out to be a tricky little problem, but we plan to tackle it someday. Here is a related forum entry (which I just updated) - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22

HafMpty said:
On a related note, some people (like me) separate out the salt additions for mash additions and boil additions. It would be great to have the ability to divide the additions.

Noted (and added to the thread about the water chemistry calculator).

HafMpty said:
It would be nice to be able to add custom brew steps (like add sugar at 10 minutes from the end of the boil) as well as other items.

If you mark the sugar as a late addition (but using the down arrow next it in the fermentables box, or the down all button in the lower left corner of the fermentables box), when you go to brew, the step will be there.

As for other custom brew steps, the architecture supports that (just not programmed). Surprisingly, no one has asked about this. I suggest you start another thread in the forum to kick off that discussion.

HafMpty said:
Finally, how about a "How To" video walking us through the various components of the Brewer's Friend Recipe Builder. I already subscribe to your YouTube page and so seeing something pop up that walks a nOOb through every step from recipe creation to packaging and the final log entry would be good. Show us how YOU use the software during brew day. It might help others use it more effectively and efficiently if we see how the creator has designed it to be used.

Yep, videos are on the TODO list for the near term.

HafMpty said:
I am anxiously awaiting the mobile app.

This is getting stronger on our radar.

HafMpty said:
Thanks for your hard work.

You are welcome! Glad you like the site!

I'm going to mark this as closed as I think everything is addressed, already supported, or logged in another thread.

Back