(ANSWERED) BIAB Setup

Lee Tucker

Trial Member
Reaction score
I love using Brewers Friend but am looking for suggestions/tutorial for setting it up for doing BIAB. How should I be setting up my mash steps and profile? What other tips can anyone provide for using the software with BIAB setups?
Thanks,
Lee

Re: BIAB Setup

Glad you are enjoying the tools!

The most important thing is to pick BIAB as the brew method on the recipe editor. This will ensure the Brew feature (the green 'brew' button) will default to the right step profile. It also then understands you are not using a mash tun for the purposes of mashing and calculating water requirements.

The mash steps section on the recipe is just a guideline more than anything.

Hi, I know I'm way behind on this post but I've brewed in a bag for years and you can get the same results as all grain by having the right set up, for one thing you will not be able to sparge so add all the water at once which means you will need a 13 to 15 gallon pot at least for a 5 gallon batch, also you will need to drain the bag after 170 temp for at least 20 minutes so you need to have something to hold it with above the water level or you'll throw your back out, then if you put flame on the pot with the bag in you need a false bottom to keep the bag from melting, check the water after draining and add more if needed, I tend to go with 11.5 lb of grain and 9 gallons of water for my set up, hope this helps

Back