Another to ponder

CrankyBuzzard

Trial Member
Reaction score
Tonight I savored the first mug of my latest Mayan Delight brew.

This is a version of the Goat Scrotum Ale that Charlie Papazian has published, but I've added a bit of my own to it.

This brew in the past, and tonight, tends to have several different flavor profiles, all of which depend upon where you are in the drinking process of your mug/glass.

First off, I never serve this in a chilled mug/glass. When first drawn, this beer has a flavor akin to chocolate and roasted rye, and then begins to mellow out. At about half glass, when drinking normally, one begins to get a chocolate/toffee with a hint of licorice, towards the end of the consumption, a slight ancho chili pepper flavor sneaks in without the flame, but hinting of the addition...

This is my house special that I ALWAYS have on hand either in keg or bottle form....

I've never asked for a recipe critique on it before, but I'm now curious after finding this group! Many of you seem to be very well versed in beer and I am curious about your thoughts...

I believe that many of you will question the amount of hops and the lack of bitterness.... Thus far, it hasn't come up... Very curious though about other's thoughts...

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... an-delight

Charlie

ab718ac3aa11bc4542cfb8574d7e7c6b_zps3ef7a77e.jpg

That must be a quite a cauldron for witches to dance around! My compliments on a very complex recipe! My tastes run toward simple grain bills and very few additional spices and flavorings but this one I'd love to try (brewed, not to brew). At our local homebrew nights I taste a lot of complex recipes, then thank the Brew Hut for the containers to spit in (Chessking's excellent brews excluded - I'd buy that stuff!). In fairness to the complex palates out there, I did taste a chocolate chili beer at our last homebrewers' evening that was quite nice - it still tasted like beer, which I hold to be the measure of a brew with a complex grain bill and lots of spices and flavorings. If it drinks as you say, enter it in contests - you just might have a best of show!

If you added a ton of hops it would be a Cascadian Dark Ale!

If you like it, brew it!

What yeast?

Back