An introduction from an older newbie

Brewdomestix

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Good day to all maltsters, brewers, ale-wives and any other well worn or original descriptors people may choose to attach themselves to.

I have been aware of Brewer's Friend for some months now. Shout out to Home Brew Online from York, England who recommended you in their own forum but whom themselves ceased trading this summer (sadly). Thankfully, I have since found a replacement online supplier. There are scant actual physical HomeBrew shops near to where I live. The few which have sprung up in my neck of the woods over the years have not lasted very long either. Anyway I hope that avoids counting as advertising which is certainly not why I am here. I don't own/work for a brewery nor a bar chain. I have made particular use of ABV calculators and gravity ranges here, the latter prompting my first question which I shall put together in the appropriate place. Signing up was the natural thing to do.

My tastes are rather eclectic with a few firm favourites and a couple of long lost drinks I would welcome back as well. I am somewhere like in my 40th year of brewing beer and cider from extract kits, the latter half wine also although nowhere near as often. My very first experience of homebrewing was courtesy of a bass player who shared digs with me for a short while - strong stuff, straight from the bin I am afraid.

My production equipment is the most basic but at least more civilised; bin, bottles and a few barrels not forgetting that trusty old bath. I don't have plans to upgrade any time soon but won't completely rule that out. Limited space rather dictates matters at present, it took some time to adapt to living in an apartment flat from a three storey house plus large cellar (the only part of it which I miss). My kitchen is actually bigger. And not having to go up and down flights of stairs for things has been the biggest bonus.

I have made gradual progress over the years. My beginnings were - to be perfectly honest - terrible. I shifted away from brewing lager (without abandoning that drink completely) and this was one of the best life decisions I ever made! Starting to take gravity readings the most important. I was fairly good at judging by sight but this isn't reliable enough.

I aren't the chattiest of people (bit of a loner) but this is to me a very interesting besides nourishing and enjoyable subject (a superb one for a website). So much so that I recently started reading up on the history of Ale and Beer. I found a book that had been sat on my shelves untouched/unread for years which I had picked up from a library (where I did work) - wait for it - being removed and thrown out! I was right that it would come in one day though - another good decision.

I am very much of the mindset 'we never stop learning'. I have recently been getting into hops but finding it a rather complex area. It is time to let the new chapter unfold.

A hearty welcome to you. Not all of us are extroverts, but we do share a love of beer and cider and mead and wine... and the occasional gin & tonic.

Most of us believe that the equipment is just a detail. If it brews your beer, it must be the right bit of kit. We all have to adapt to the space we have.

Never be afraid to ask anything, we're all still learning here!

Cheers mate hope you enjoy your next chapter of brewing here.

You want to upgrade your brew set-up we can sure help you with that :D.

Cheers enjoy the hobby.

Welcome CT! What's in your fermenter and what's your challenge with hops?

Welcome!
I'm sure you are going to like it here ;)
Note that we can get off topic quite easily but we always (well, almost always) get back to the point :)

Welcome to the BF, lots of great people here willing to help. Still sorta a newbe here myself.

CT, for somewhat of a loner that you self describe as, that was quite an intro.
Welcome to this forum where you'll get good, even if it's honest advice.
The folks here that will assist with you inquiries are very sound with their advice.
The banter can get off track, but it is a rabbit hole and we tend to entertain each other.
The end goal is better beer for you and all of us, so ask, contribute, and most importantly, listen.
Welcome and hopefully we'll all be Brewers Friends
Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:
Welcome CT! What's in your fermenter and what's your challenge with hops?
First part first: sounds crazy, I know but that is part of the question which I was referring to as it is an extract kit with the vague title of 'Real Ale'. It is at least a reliable kit I have made a few times. I haven't worked out whether I am allowed to mention brand names here but it is probably the biggest in respect of extract kit producers in the UK. Anyway I will expand upon this when I have got my words right.

And now it is my turn as I guess I am being a bit general re: hops. But basically to learn a bit more such as being able to identify which hop(s) by taste. The ones I have used (pellets) sure smell different. I know cirussy ones are often used in IPAs and sometimes different varieties are combined. It feels a bit like going back to school as a five year old but perhaps that is just the first signs of senility setting in. I don't make hoppy beers all the time so that is an obstacle somewhat - I actually thought initially that there was just one single type of hop. Anyway, I like taking notes so that should help in the long run. Getting more organised would help too ;)

Welcome, from another new member!

Others here have mentioned discussions going OT. To me, this is a feature, not a bug. Too many forums are over-moderated, try to get posters to color inside the lines. I like the way that discussions here are free to weave back and forth--more organic. Yes, it's a relaxed vibe.

Betcha you'll like it here.

CT: I really had to learn hops as well. And I still do!
I started by just following what a recipe said. Just recently I made some saisons and all I changed was the hops. Same IBU's and same timing of application.
The differences are big!
So far, I think I'm a Noble hop person ;)

CT: I really had to learn hops as well. And I still do!
I started by just following what a recipe said. Just recently I made some saisons and all I changed was the hops. Same IBU's and same timing of application.
The differences are big!
So far, I think I'm a Noble hop person ;)
Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge, much appreciated and noted. Some of the kits I brew have pellets of which I have yet to use a full pack in one go. I seal up what is left precisely for that kind of experimentation once I know what I am doing a bit more. I am assuming there is a degree of compatibility to bear in mind rather than just chuck X in instead of Y without a thought. I have made a point of smelling hops too. Some are very pungent but don't come out quite that way in the finished article. No wonder beermaking was considered a mysterious craft for centuries. A little weird and I like it. :)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge, much appreciated and noted. Some of the kits I brew have pellets of which I have yet to use a full pack in one go. I seal up what is left precisely for that kind of experimentation once I know what I am doing a bit more. I am assuming there is a degree of compatibility to bear in mind rather than just chuck X in instead of Y without a thought. I have made a point of smelling hops too. Some are very pungent but don't come out quite that way in the finished article. No wonder beermaking was considered a mysterious craft for centuries. A little weird and I like it. :)

If you want to dial in the IBUs, Brewer's Friend has a neat calculator to help you determine how much hops to add.

It's not easy to predict flavor based on smelling hops, takes some imagination. It can be very subtle. But at least do a smell test of your hops before using just to check for freshness and find out if they have oxidized too much. You'll know it--the hops will have a stale or cheesy aroma.

Taste-test your grain. It'll give you a rough idea what flavors it will impart.

But don't taste-test your hops, unless you're a glutton for punishment. :D

My empirical knowledge is that all hops are earthy smelling....just which part of the earth are we talking about! Freshly dug, moist earth is Fuggles or EKG. Mosaic and Citra is a grapefruit, Cenntenial is a pine tree and Simco is a cat box!
But again...your beer...your nose! As close as Fuggles and EKG are, there are people that love the one and can't stand the other...go figure for me, I like them both and find the Goldings just a tad more subtle in the finish. The IPA trinity of Simco, Citra and Mosaic in an over hopped beer is downright cat piss to me but it's also what's propped up the craft brewery scene for the last 5 years so in the words of another popular drink....To each their Un! Now....where's that rabbit hole I was trying to find...I think I left it over here..hmm.......oh what's this?

Back